Beerburrum School of Arts Association Inc
The Hall is located in the middle of Beerburrum and has a fully equipped kitchen with zip hot water system, commercial stove with oven, two fridges, microwave, electric jug and plenty of crockery and cutlery, all occasion glasses, saucepans etc, outside undercover bbq area with table and stools and plenty of car parking space. We also hire out tables/chairs/crockery/cutlery and electric urn.
Beerburrum became a place of minor note when it was set aside for soldier-settler farming by the State Government in 1916. Over 24,000 ha were subdivided into more than 550 farm lots - the largest of Queensland's soldier-settler schemes. It was thought the hilly forest country suited to fruit, especially pineapple, growing. Notions of a village settlement informed the project, proximity to the North Coast railway line also a probable influence. Plans were made for surplus produce to be transported to a state cannery at Bulimba. The State Government also provided a training farm, a butcher's shop and a hall. Pugh's Queensland Directory(1925) also mentions the Beerburrum co-operative fruit preserving factory and the Settlement Store. There were Catholic, Anglican, Methodist and Presbyterian churches, but by that time the farming scheme was in serious trouble; all the buildings were removed to other places after the scheme was abandoned in 1929. As generally with soldier settlement schemes, allotments were too small, which together with lack of skill, capital and dependable markets caused failure. Much of the farm land was re-afforested with exotic softwoods. Beerburrum has a general store, a public hall, a primary school (1918) and a forestry office. The hall is the school of arts built before 1920.