Caloundra Coastal Pathway
The Coastal Pathway is one of many recreational infrastructure projects delivered by council to help the Sunshine Coast community achieve a healthy, active and sustainable lifestyle.
The Caloundra Headland Coastal Pathway is one section of a 73-kilometre-long route from Bells Creek in the south to Coolum in the north.
The next stage of the pathway is located in the Caloundra Headland area. This 160-metre-long section has been identified as a ‘high priority’.
It will replace the existing route along the Esplanade which does not meet Coastal Pathway standards of being off-road and providing a coastal experience.
The new Coastal Pathway section will include:
- A new three-metre-wide boardwalk adjacent to the headland
- Seating opportunities and pause points for the community to relax, rest and appreciate the coastal views
- Weed clearing and revegetation, including a new planted area between the road and the boardwalk, replacing the old pathway
- Low level boardwalk lighting incorporated within the handrail posts
- Way-finding signage
- Early survey works - including vegetation and fauna surveys, geotechnical (soil and rock) tests, and surveying the pathway alignment.
2023-2024 - Exact dates to be confirmed
- Boardwalk construction - following the appointment of a construction contractor, it is expected that construction may commence as early May/June 2023.
Construction works will be undertaken in stages to minimise inconvenience to residents and visitors and maintain as much access to the area as possible.
More information about the construction program will be shared following the appointment of a construction contractor.
All work is subject to favorable weather and site conditions.
February 2023 – Caloundra Headland Coastal Pathway to Project News
Between 21 November to 28 February 2017, council undertook a community consultation process for the Draft Coastal Pathway Master Plan. More than 2000 submissions were received from the community.
The Coastal Pathway Linear Open Space Master Plan was adopted at council’s ordinary meeting 7 December 2017 and aims to guide council in expanding on existing pathways to improve access to these iconic views, beaches and parks.
The consultation process and summary of key findings can be viewed on the Coastal Pathway Linear Open Space Master Plan Community Consultation Summary Report.
- Coastal Pathway Master Plan[1228KB]
- For information on future development of the network visit the Coastal Pathway Linear Open Space Master Plan website.
For more information about the project, please email: Caloundra Headland Coastal Pathway Project
To keep up to date with changes and news on the project please subscribe for our email updates.