First Avenue will be upgraded to help the street operate more safely and efficiently, and enhance the look and experience of the area.
The design will connect the established northern section of First Avenue and the newly expanded Maroochydore central business district (CBD), Aerodrome Road and surrounds, including to The Esplanade and Duporth Avenue.
The upgrade will provide an attractive and safe environment for pedestrians and cyclists, improve and increase spaces for local businesses, help calm local traffic and will create cool, shady and green streets for all to enjoy.
A concept plan was developed in consultation with the community in 2018. Since then, council has completed the final design.
With construction of the newly expanded Maroochydore CBD in progress council is focusing on the surrounding areas to deliver improved streetscape outcomes that benefit residents, visitors and local businesses.
A key goal is to provide safer pedestrian, cyclist and motorist movements including:
- improving pedestrian crossings:
- two raised pedestrian crossings along First Avenue; a raised pedestrian crossing along Cornmeal Parade, Memorial Avenue and George Street. As well as, a scramble crossing at the intersection of First Avenue, Duporth Avenue and The Esplanade
- a scramble crossing is a traffic signal movement that temporarily stops all vehicle traffic allowing pedestrians to cross an intersection in every direction at the same time.
- upgrading footpaths and driveways
- upgrading underground services including power, telecommunications, stormwater, and mains water
- improving access for people with disabilities, prams, motorised scooters and other non-motorised forms of transport
- fixing footpath level variations where possible
- providing on-street car parking on the eastern side of First Avenue
- transforming the eastern side of First Avenue including extending kerbing and landscaped areas and new street furniture
- transforming the western side of First Avenue into a six metre wide, shared path for pedestrians and cyclists with a continuous, centralised planting strip.
- on-street parking will be removed and consolidated into more suitable, nearby areas. The reconfiguration of the Cornmeal Place has provided an additional 29 standard parking bays to the car park. When combined with the First Avenue Major Upgrade an additional 12 standard parking bays will be delivered in the local area
- relocating the two bus stops along First Avenue to The Esplanade and upgrading them to minimise conflict with other First Avenue street users
- extensive landscaping including planting approximately 60 new trees and 1500 new plants.
- installing new street furniture to provide a welcoming, green environment for residents and visitors.
- April 2018 - Consultation with businesses and traders on the concept design
- May 2022 - Final design introduced to community
- July 2022 - Design information night
- Project temporarily on hold - based on construction market conditions.
- TBC - Contractor appointed
- TBC - *Construction commences
- TBC - *New streetscape completed
*Some elements of construction may be staged or altered as funding and resources dictate. All works will be weather and site conditions permitting.
Where to from here
Council will keep our community informed of the future construction schedule, following the appointment of a construction contractor.
Subscribing to receive project updates and information on construction works is a convenient way to keep up to date with the project. To subscribe or contact the First Avenue project team, please email [email protected].
- Community Update - First Avenue Upgrade - September 2023
- Newsletter update April 2018 (PDF, 1491KB)
- Newsletter update September 2019 (PDF, 445KB).