Changing your name or address

When a property in the region is sold, council receives details of new owners. The details include a postal address for notices

Changing your name or address

When a property is sold within the region, council receives details of new owners from Titles QLD. The details include a postal address for notices. If you want council to forward notices to another address, you must authorise the change by completing the online change of address form.

Companies wishing to add an authority on a property must complete the online change of address/add authority form.

Ratepayers wishing to change their name or business name must complete a change of name notification form (DOCX, 128KB). You must state the reason for the name change on the form and provide supporting documents such as:

  • marriage certificate
  • Decree Nisi (divorce)
  • letterhead with new company name
  • or extract from Australian Securities Investments Commission (ASIC).

Name suppression

Ratepayers can have their name suppressed on council's property records. While there is no legal requirement to suppress names, council offers this service in the interest of community welfare.

The property owners name is suppressed on any record, application or document held with council.

The applicant must provide the following documents to council:

  • a completed name suppression form (DOCX, 201KB)
  • a Statutory Declaration stating that having their name showing on council records will endanger themselves and their family.
  • a copy of a Domestic Violence Order issued by the courts (if relevant).

Property sales (new owners)

Council rate notices are issued in January and July. If you buy or sell your property just prior to either of these times, council may not have been notified of the sale before printing notices. So, if you receive a rate notice for a property you no longer own, please either forward the notice to the new owner or return it to council.

A penalty can apply if notification of a sale is not provided to Titles QLD or to council within 30 days of settlement.

Deceased property owner

A customer may contact council to advise of a deceased person. A notification of a deceased person application form (DOCX, 200KB) and a copy of the death certificate must be provided to advise that a property owner is deceased.

Until council receives advice from Titles QLD, the deceased person's name will not be removed.

To change the Title Deed, the customer should contact their Solicitor or Titles QLD.


If you would like more details or assistance contact council.