Development application process
  • Last updated:
  • 17 Jun 2020
To protect the health of our community and our staff we have changed the way we provide our services. Find out more.
Council oversees development on the Sunshine Coast in accordance with the Sunshine Coast Planning Scheme 2014. Under the scheme, applicants may need approval for certain developments.

On 3 July 2017, the Planning Act 2016 commenced and established a new planning system in Queensland. This replaces the Sustainable Planning Act 2009.

Applications made before 3 July 2017 are assessed under the Sustainable Planning Act 2009.

You can view these Acts on the Queensland Government Legislation website.

The new development assessment process is set out in Statutory Instrument called the DA Rules. The assessment process involves the following parts:

  • Part 1 - application
  • Part 2 - referral
  • Part 3 - information request
  • Part 4 - public notification
  • Part 5 - decision.

Not all parts apply to every development application. Similarly, not all actions within each part may apply.

To view the DA Rules, visit the Department of Infrastructure, Local Government and Planning website.

Development applications must be made using:

  • the state government's DA forms, and in some cases
  • relevant council application forms.

For more information, refer to development application forms.

Visit the Department of State Development, Manufacturing, Infrastructure and Planning website.

If you need help, please contact council's development services.

You can check Development.i to view details of lodged applications.

Unitywater handles approving applications to its water and sewerage networks for:

  • connections
  • disconnections, and
  • alterations.

This change has resulted from the Water Supply Service Legislation Amendment Act 2014. The intention of the new legislation is to streamline the approval process for water and sewerage connections.

Contact Unitywater for:

  • transitional arrangements advice regarding an existing development approval or application lodged, or
  • further information on applying for a new application.