Property searches
  • Last updated:
  • 23 Mar 2020

Council can perform a variety of property searches. There are several ways to request searches:

To comply with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard, the use of credit cards is only available:

  • online through MyCouncil, or
  • in person.

Types of searches

  • rates search
  • flooding
  • environment (biodiversity unit)
  • business licensing/health and environment
  • planning and development certificates
  • health inspection of premises
  • plumbing records, including:
    • final inspection date/s
    • outstanding notices
    • drainage and hydraulic plans, or
    • compliance certificate
  • building records, including:
    • extracts
    • compliance
    • swimming pool/spa fencing, or
    • certificate of classification
  • searches used in conveyancing.

Full details of the various searches are available on the search request form.

Other types of searches

You can use Development.i to:

  • access council's planning and development records
  • access plans and guidelines, or
  • track applications.

To request information about properties, refer to the above information on property searches. You can also view information on development applications.

Planning and development certificates are under the Planning Regulation 2017. The details each provided will depend on the particular search. For example:

  • Limited certificates:
    • provide confirmation of designations and planning scheme overlays, and
    • confirms whether there are outstanding infrastructure charges.
  • Standard certificates include:
    • limited certificate information, and
    • details from approvals relevant to the property.
  • Full certificates include:
    • standard certificate information
    • fulfillment of current development and building approvals details
    • compliance with infrastructure agreements, and
    • applicable performance bonds.

The time needed for completing searches depends on the type you have requested. Council handles most searches within ten business days.

Various searches attract different fees. These fees are listed in the property search request.

Council may require access to a property to conduct an inspection. If so, council may need the phone number of the occupant or the agent holding the key to arrange access.

When requesting a full onsite building search, an 'authority to enter' may also be required. Please refer to the individual search request form requirements.