- Last updated:
- 17 Jan 2022
In 2017 council adopted the Caloundra Centre Master Plan. This exciting plan encourages new investment in the central business district of Caloundra - the Sunshine Coast's City of Beaches.
Since this time, council has made significant progress in implementing key actions aimed at expanding Caloundra's potential and delivering the vision of the Master Plan. Key actions progressed include:
- Amendments to the Planning Scheme to increase opportunities for commercial and residential development within and near to the centre with a view to increasing the in-centre resident population and making Caloundra 'transit ready' for high frequency public transport
- Completion of a major upgrade and refurbishment of The Events Centre ensuring that Caloundra remains a leading location for entertainment and cultural events on the Sunshine Coast
- Completion of another major stage of streetscape works in Bulcock Street with future stages aimed at enhancing connections between Bulcock Street, the Bulcock Beach Esplanade and the cultural and civic activities focused on Omrah Avenue and at The Events Centre
- Endorsement by council at the June 2019 Ordinary Meeting of key recommendations which enable detailed planning and design of the Caloundra Centre area, commencing with an endorsement of an Urban Design Concept and Preliminary Staging Plan, preliminary size and location of the new Caloundra Regional Gallery, new Caloundra Library, and new Town Square
- Streetscaping and placemaking projects for Bulcock Street, Otranto and Omrah Avenues
- Re-development opportunity (at the location of the existing library) – adjoining the proposed new Town Square, Caloundra Regional Gallery and new library located within the existing council administration building. Sale of the land via an expressions of interest process was agreed to in principle by council
- Commitment of project funding and working with the state government to progress a 'one-network' solution to enhance access into and throughout the Caloundra centre.
Development of concept designs and undertaking preliminary feasibility for the Caloundra Centre Precinct is currently underway. The detailed design for the Caloundra administration building repurposing into a new district level library has commenced and construction is scheduled to commence early in 2023.
In support of its continued place making endeavors in Caloundra, council is targeting investment by a range of businesses and industries, including:
- cultural and creative industries
- tourism activities and facilities (including hotel operators)
- regional sport and recreation activities
- educational industries
- health care and well being, specialising in aged and disability care
- residential and commercial developers
- professional services
- transport and aviation related activities.