- Last updated:
- 10 Feb 2021
In 2017 council adopted the Caloundra Centre Master Plan an exciting plan to encourage new investment in the central business district of Caloundra - the Sunshine Coast's City of Beaches.
Since this time, council has made significant progress in implementing a number of key actions aimed at expanding Caloundra's potential and delivering the vision of the Master Plan. Key actions progressed include:
- Amendments to the Planning Scheme to increase opportunities for commercial and residential development within and near to the centre with a view to increasing the in-centre resident population and making Caloundra 'transit ready' for high frequency public transport.
- Completion of a major upgrade and refurbishment of The Events Centre ensuring that Caloundra remains a leading location for entertainment and cultural events on the Sunshine Coast.
- Completion of another major stage of streetscape works in Bulcock Street with future stages aimed at enhancing connections between Bulcock Street, the Bulcock Beach Esplanade and the cultural and civic activities focused on Omrah Avenue and at The Events Centre.
- Endorsement by Council at the June 2019 Ordinary Meeting of key recommendations which enable detailed planning and design of the Caloundra Centre area, commencing with an endorsement of an Urban Design Concept and Preliminary Staging Plan, preliminary size and location of the new Caloundra Regional Gallery, new Caloundra Library, and new Town Square
- Streetscaping and Placemaking projects for Bulcock St, Otranto Ave, and Omrah Ave.
- Re-development site opportunity (at the location of the existing Library) – adjoining the proposed new Town Square and Caloundra Regional Gallery and adjacent to the new Library proposed to be located within the existing administration building. Sale of the land via an expressions of interest process was agreed to in principle by Council.
- Commitment of project funding and working with the State government to progress a 'one-network' solution to enhance access into and throughout the Caloundra Centre.
Development of concept designs and undertaking preliminary feasibility for the Caloundra Centre Precinct and the re-purposing of the Caloundra Administration Building to include a new District Library is scheduled to commence in December 2019.
In support of its continued place making endeavors in Caloundra, council is targeting investment by a range of businesses and industries, including:
- Cultural and creative industries
- Tourism activities and facilities (including hotel operators)
- Regional sport and recreation activities
- Educational industries
- Health care and well being, specialising in aged and disability care
- Residential and commercial developers
- Professional services
- Transport and aviation related activities