- Last updated:
- 18 Apr 2019
In 2017 council adopted the Caloundra Centre Master Plan, an exciting plan to encourage new investment in the central business district of Caloundra - the Sunshine Coast's City of Beaches.
Since this time, council has made significant progress in implementing a number of key actions aimed at expanding Caloundra's potential and delivering the vision of the Master Plan. These include:
- amendments to the Planning Scheme to increase opportunities for commercial and residential development within and near to the centre with a view to increasing the in-centre resident population and making Caloundra 'transit ready' for high frequency public transport.
- master planning for the Caloundra Town Square development site with a view to establishing new and improved open space and cultural facilities at the heart of the Caloundra Centre and thereby providing a strategic impetus for revitalisation throughout the centre, including a new Regional Art Gallery.
- a major upgrade and refurbishment of The Events Centre, Caloundra to ensure Caloundra remains a leading location for entertainment and cultural events on the Sunshine Coast.
- committing project funding and working with the State government on a 'one-network' solution to enhance access into and throughout Caloundra Centre.
- completing another major stage of streetscape works in the Centre's main street - Bulcock Street with future stages aimed at enhancing connections between Bulcock Street, the Bulcock Beach Esplanade and the cultural and civic activities focused on Omrah Avenue and at The Events Centre, Caloundra.
In support of its continued place making endeavours in Caloundra, council is targeting investment by a range of businesses and industries, including:
- cultural and creative industries
- tourism activities and facilities (including hotel operators)
- regional sport and recreation activities
- educational industries
- health care and well being, specialising in aged and disability care
- residential and commercial developers
- professional services and
- transport and aviation related activities
In particular, opportunities for investment in council's Caloundra Town Square renewal project are planned to be released in 2019.