Rates information

Find out how rates are calculated, what a principal place of residence is, and view council's Revenue Statement.

Council funds many services and facilities through rates payments. These services include:

  • community services including libraries
  • local roads and transport
  • parks and gardens
  • environment
  • economic initiatives.

A full list of rates and charges is available in council's 2023/24 Revenue Statement (PDF, 8.2MB).

Council issues rates notices twice a year:

  • in January for the six-month period from 1 January to 30 June
  • in July for the six-month period from 1 July to 31 December.

Additional supplementary rate notices may also be issued when there have been adjustments to the rates and charges levied in January or July.

Rate Notice supporting document for January 2024

Supplementary Rate Notice supporting documents for November 2023

Supplementary Rate Notice supporting documents for September 2023

Land valuations

The value of your land, along with the main or primary land use, is the basis for the calculation of the General Rate. The Department of Resources (DR) sets this rateable value.

For valuation enquiries please contact DR.

General Rates

There are 49 General Rate categories determined for 2023/24.  These categories are detailed in the 2023/24 Revenue Statement (PDF, 8.2MB). Every property in the region has been allocated one of these 49 categories. Each category has a 'cents in the dollar rate'. General Rates are calculated by multiplying the rateable value of a property by the category's 'cents in the dollar rate'. The minimum charge applies when the resulting amount is below the set minimum General Rate for the category.

General Rate category objections

If you believe your General Rate category is incorrect you can object. The only grounds for objection is that you believe your property should be in another category. Objections should be lodged within 30 days from the issue of the rate notice using the Differential General Rate objection form (below).

If you lodge an objection the rates and charges must still be paid by the due date. If the General Rate category is changed as an outcome of the objection, council will adjust the rates and advise you in writing.

Category objections not related to your principal place of residence

Please refer to the full definitions of each General Rate category as detailed in the Differential General Rates (Section 3.4 Table 1 of the 2023/24 Revenue Statement (PDF, 8.2MB)) before lodging an objection using the Differential General Rate objection form (DOCX, 215KB).  For objections related to the temporary and non-principal place of residence, based use of Transitory Accommodation by the property owner for 42 consecutive days or more please complete the Differential General Rate objection form - Transitory Accommodation - owner occupation 42 days or more (DOCX, 215KB) and the Statutory Declaration - Transitory Accommodation - owner occupation 42 days or more (DOCX, 117KB)

Principal place of residence (PPR) - Category objection

A principal place of residence (PPR) is defined as a residential dwelling or unit where at least one owner/ratepayer permanently lives. A detailed definition is outlined in the 2023/24 Revenue Statement (PDF, 8.2MB). The rating category for a PPR property is different to a property where the owners do not reside. The categories recognise the different use of the land.

To object to a non-PPR category complete a Differential General Rate objection form (DOCX, 215KB). You are required to supply supporting documents as proof of residency.

Note: specific supporting documents are required if your ownership is under a Company or Trust. Refer to the Differential General Rate objection form (DOCX, 215KB) for details.


Interest charges will be applied to all overdue rates or charges under section 133 of the Local Government Regulation 2012. The interest will be compound interest, calculated on daily rates. For a day on or after 1 July 2023 the interest rate is 11.64% per annum. To avoid interest charges, you must either pay your rates in full by the due date or establish an arrangement to pay your rates by instalments (see 'Payment arrangement' below) prior to the due date on the rate notice.

Payment arrangement

You can make an arrangement to pay your current rates by instalments.

Note: If your residential or postal address is out of date, please complete the online Change of address notification online form.


For more details or assistance contact council.