Besides venues and natural assets, the region boasts world-class high performance training facilities. Many of these facilities support para-sports.
- An Australian Institute of Sport accredited facility is at the University of the Sunshine Coast. It is the training base for many visiting elite international athletes.
- High performance gym facilities are situated in The Sports Hub, Bokarina. They include a state-of-the-art testing lab and world class equipment.
- A concentration of high calibre health and wellbeing practitioners are located at the health precinct adjacent to the Kawana Sports Precinct.
Resident high performance teams based on the Sunshine Coast include:
- Australian Cycling Academy (UniSC)
- Sunshine Coast Lightning (UniSC)
- USC Spartans (swim team) (UniSC)
- Ten Pin Bowling Australia.
There are training facilities for 59 different sports in this region. Of these facilities 42 are of a national or international standard.
The region welcomes training camps for many sporting codes and has recently hosted:
- Australian Diamonds Netball
- New Zealand All Blacks
- Australian Women's Water Polo (Tokyo 2020 preparation) View their feedback in this clip.
- International Bowling Federation
- Various NRL and AFL teams.
Coaches, event organisers and athletes have shared their Sunshine Coast experience.
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic the 2020 and 2021 Suncorp Super Netball competition were based in the region. Eight professional teams were included.
Similarly the region has become a hub for the 2021 NRL competition.
Additionally the Sunshine Coast was a major training hub for teams before the 2018 Commonwealth Games. We hosted over 500 athletes from nine nations.
The Sunshine Coast will play an integral role in Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic games. The region is proposed to be home to four key venues and several sporting events during the Games. These include football (soccer), basketball, marathon, mountain biking, cycling and kiteboarding.
Discuss your training needs with one of our officers via email.