Construction of vehicle crossovers and driveways

Section 75 of the Local Government Act (2009) states council approval is required for work undertaken on roads including the road reserve/nature strip area.

Your driveway gives vehicles access to your property. In most cases, the driveway is formed from the kerb or edge of the road up to a garage or carport.

The crossover is the section of your driveway that crosses the verge from the kerb or road edge to the property boundary.

You may need approval to construct a new driveway or work in the verge. Basic maintenance like repairing cracks or sealing your driveway does not need council approval.

Planning your driveway

Follow these three steps to ensure you meet requirements.

Owner's responsibility

As the property owner, you are responsible for construction and maintenance of the whole driveway and crossover.

This includes:

  • any associated drainage and kerbing
  • where the crossover crosses the kerb
  • any affected footpath, water course, drain or drainage easement.

Fact sheets and guidelines


For more information, contact council's customer service centre.