- Last updated:
- 23 Aug 2019
An abandoned vehicle is a vehicle that is left on the road for a period of time, which appears to have no owner.
Please note: Vehicles that do not have current registration must be parked on privately owned property. Permission is required from the property owner.
Reporting an abandoned vehicle
To report an abandoned vehicle, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include:
- a description of the vehicle including colour
- make and model of the vehicle
- registration number (where possible)
- the specific location to help locate the vehicle.
Please note: Council does not manage vehicles on main roads (State controlled roads). Please contact the Department of Transport and Main Roads.
Council investigates abandoned vehicles under the Transport Operation (Road Use Management) Act 1995.
The vehicle's condition, location and registration status are checked. A warning notice may be issued. This gives the vehicle owner time to remove the vehicle from council or state-controlled land.
The vehicle must be removed by the date and time on the warning notice. If it is not removed, council may arrange for the vehicle to be impounded. If the vehicle is a danger to public safety, it may be towed immediately.
Proof of ownership is required for release of the vehicle and must be claimed within 2 months of the vehicle being impounded. If not, council will dispose of the vehicle by public auction.
Recovering an impounded vehicle
To have an impounded vehicle released, the registered owner is required under state government laws to complete the application form:
The owner must bring copies of proof of ownership documents and photo identification (drivers licence, 18+ card or passport) to a council customer service centre. They must pay the release fee and any other charges that may be applicable. After this, council will send a letter to the owner of the vehicle. The letter will give approval for the release of the vehicle.
Abandoned vehicle auction
- The last auction was held Saturday 10 August 2019
- Abandoned vehicle auctions are held approximately four times a year. This depends on the number of vehicles being auctioned.
- Auctions are held at Clayton's Towing Yard, Bli Bli Road Nambour.
- Images are generally available on Claytons Towing Facebook page prior to auction.
- Viewing is from 8:00am. Auction will start at 9:00am sharp.
- Terms are full payment on day of auction (EFTPOS accepted). The buyer is responsible for the removal of the vehicle. The vehicle must be taken away on the day of sale.
- Council reserves the right to withdraw any vehicle advertised prior to auction.