- Last updated:
- 22 Jan 2021
Council will investigate reports of abandoned vehicles by checking:
- the vehicle condition
Council will try to find the vehicle owner and get them to remove it. If we can't locate the owner, we place a notice on the vehicle advising that it will be removed by a certain date. We may tow the vehicle immediately if it is a danger to public safety.
If an abandoned vehicle is not removed by the date on the notice, council will impound the vehicle.
If the vehicle is not claimed within one month of being impounded, we will advertise it for 14 days. It will then be disposed of by public auction. Council may dispose of vehicles of no value (e.g. damaged, missing parts or not roadworthy) without going to auction.
Unregistered vehicles not stored on private property are considered abandoned.
Reporting an abandoned vehicle
If you spot an abandoned vehicle, you can email Customer Service. Please include:
- vehicle description including colour, make, model and registration number (where possible)
- specific location to help locate the vehicle.
Note: abandoned vehicles on main or State controlled roads are management by the Department of Transport and Main Roads.
Refer to the list of State controlled roads in the Sunshine Coast region.
Owners who would like to collect an impounded vehicle must:
- do so within one month of impounding
- complete the application form (as required under state government laws)
- send proof of ownership and photo identification (drivers licence, 18+ card or passport) which has been verified by a Justice of the Peace via email. Or you can bring proof of ownership and photo identification to a council customer service centre.
On receipt of proof of ownership and photo identification council will contact you to pay the release fees and any other applicable charges. You will also need to provide release paperwork so that you can collect your vehicle.
|Date impounded||Vehicle description||Registration number||Address impounded||Reference number|
|11/09/2020||Holden Cruze White||176WOX||19-21 Jorl Court BUDERIM QLD 4556||IV2000698|
|18/11/2020||Nissan Navara Blue||4 Andrew Avenue LITTLE MOUNTAIN
|19/11/2020||VW Red||840YTW||5 Elliot Drive BUDERIM
|28/11/2020||Mitsubishi 4WD Black||37 Primary School Court MAROOCHYDORE||IV2000890|
|01/12/2020||Hyundai Hatch Blue||875ZTC||18 Warne Terrace KINGS BEACH QLD 4551||IV2000887|
|03/12/2020||Great Wall Wagon Black||1EWV809||Highland Place BUDERIM QLD 4556||IV2000915|
|11/12/2020||Hyundai Silver||723VOB||Taylor Avenue GOLDEN BEACH QLD 4551||IV2000979|
|12/12/2020||Holden Sedan Bronze||Parker Street MAROOCHYDORE QLD 4558||IV2000928|
|16/12/2020||Mitsubishi Lancer Black||Central Drive SIPPY DOWNS QLD 4556||IV2000130|
|20/12/2020||Mercedes White||Kelly Court BUDERIM QLD 4556||IV2000953|
|16/12/2020||Holden Green||216EQM||Bellaboo Road LANDSBOROUGH QLD 4550||IV2000911|
|16/12/2020||Trailer||Akeringa Place MOOLOOLABA QLD 4557||IV2000940|
|22/12/2020||Toyota Wagon Blue||997YGO||Kestrel Street AROONA QLD 4551||IV2000947|
|05/01/2021||Holden Commodore Red||Mitchelli Court LITTLE MOUNTAIN QLD 4551||IV2000992|
|07/01/2021||Holden 4WD Red||378TMP||Urambi Court Mountain Creek QLD 4557||IV2001007|
|09/01/2021||Honda Silver||Melville Court Mountain Coolum QLD 4573||IV2001011|
|Date impounded||Item description||Address impounded||Reference number|
|11/11/2020||Billy Surf Ski||Glenlea Drive MAROOCHYDORE QLD 4558||IMP20/0034|
|10/11/2020||White Jet Surf Ski|| Glenlea Drive MAROOCHYDORE QLD 4558
|10/11/2020||White Surf Ski Foot Straps|| Glenlea Drive MAROOCHYDORE QLD 4558
|10/11/2020||White Surf Ski|| Glenlea Drive MAROOCHYDORE QLD 4558
Sunshine Coast Council abandoned vehicle auctions have moved to an online auction platform. Slattery Auctions will run regular auctions for all abandoned vehicles and unclaimed impounded items.
These auctions will occur on a regular basis and are open to everyone. Online bidding will be available for all items.
Terms and conditions
- Auctions are held online at Slattery Auctions website.
- Images are available on Slattery's Sunshine Coast Council auction page prior to auction.
- Full payment is required on the day of the auction (EFTPOS accepted).
- Items are sold 'as is' and must be collected on the Wednesday following the auction between 9am–4pm from Nambour. Additional storage costs will be charged on items not collected on this day.
- Council reserves the right to withdraw any vehicle advertised before the auction.