- Last updated:
- 11 Jun 2020
Council will investigate reports of abandoned vehicles by checking:
- the vehicle condition
Council will try to find the vehicle owner and get them to remove it. If we can't locate the owner, we place a notice on the vehicle advising that it will be removed by a certain date. We may tow the vehicle immediately if it is a danger to public safety.
If an abandoned vehicle is not removed by the date on the notice, council will impound the vehicle.
If the vehicle is not claimed within one month of being impounded, we will advertise it for 14 days. It will then be disposed of by public auction. Council may dispose of vehicles of no value (e.g. damaged, missing parts or not roadworthy) without going to auction.
Unregistered vehicles not stored on private property are considered abandoned.
Reporting an abandoned vehicle
If you spot an abandoned vehicle, you can email Customer Service. Please include:
- vehicle description including colour, make, model and registration number (where possible)
- specific location to help locate the vehicle.
Note: abandoned vehicles on main or State controlled roads are management by the Department of Transport and Main Roads.
Refer to the list of State controlled roads in the Sunshine Coast region.
Owners who would like to collect an impounded vehicle must:
- do so within one month of impounding
- complete the application form (as required under state government laws)
- send proof of ownership and photo identification (drivers licence, 18+ card or passport) which has been verified by a Justice of the Peace via email. Or you can bring proof of ownership and photo identification to a council customer service centre.
On receipt of proof of ownership and photo identification council will contact you to pay the release fees and any other applicable charges. You will also need to provide release paperwork so that you can collect your vehicle.
|Date impounded||Vehicle description||Registration number||Address impounded||Reference number|
||Nissan 4WD Black
||Central Villas On Buderim, 6 Jorl Court, Buderim
||Nissan Pulsar Sedan Blue
||19 Cadagi Court, Kuluin
The last abandoned vehicle auction was held on Saturday 18 July 2020.
Terms and conditions
- Auctions are held at Clayton's Towing Yard, Bli Bli Road Nambour.
- Images are generally available on Claytons Towing Facebook page prior to auction.
- Viewing is from 7.30am. Auction will start at 9.00am sharp.
- Full payment is required on the day of the auction (EFTPOS accepted).
- The buyer is responsible for the removal of the vehicle on the day of sale.
- Council reserves the right to withdraw any vehicle advertised before the auction.