Abandoned vehicles and goods
  • Last updated:
  • 18 Mar 2021

Council will investigate reports of abandoned vehicles by checking:

  • the vehicle condition
  • location
  • ownership
  • registration.

Council will try to find the vehicle owner and get them to remove it. If we can't locate the owner, we place a notice on the vehicle advising that it will be removed by a certain date. We may tow the vehicle immediately if it is a danger to public safety.

If an abandoned vehicle is not removed by the date on the notice, council will impound the vehicle.

If the vehicle is not claimed within one month of being impounded, we will advertise it for 14 days. It will then be disposed of by public auction. Council may dispose of vehicles of no value (e.g. damaged, missing parts or not roadworthy) without going to auction.

Unregistered vehicles not stored on private property are considered abandoned.

Reporting an abandoned vehicle

If you spot an abandoned vehicle, you can email Customer Service. Please include:

  • vehicle description including colour, make, model and registration number (where possible)
  • specific location to help locate the vehicle.

Note: abandoned vehicles on main or State controlled roads are management by the Department of Transport and Main Roads.

Refer to the list of State controlled roads in the Sunshine Coast region[227KB].

Impounded vehicles

Owners who would like to collect an impounded vehicle must:

  • do so within one month of impounding
  • complete the application form[238KB] (as required under state government laws)
  • send proof of ownership and photo identification (drivers licence, 18+ card or passport) which has been verified by a Justice of the Peace via email. Or you can bring proof of ownership and photo identification to a council customer service centre.

On receipt of proof of ownership and photo identification council will contact you to pay the release fees and any other applicable charges. You will also need to provide release paperwork so that you can collect your vehicle.

Date impounded Vehicle description  Registration number  Address impounded  Reference number 
11/09/2020 Holden Cruze White 176WOX Jorl Court BUDERIM  IV2000698
16/12/2020  Holden Green 216EQM Bellaboo Road LANDSBOROUGH  IV2000911
16/12/2020 Trailer   Akeringa Place MOOLOOLABA  IV2000940
03/02/2021 Ford Fiesta Red 944MUH Petrie Creek Road ROSEMOUNT  IV2100060
03/02/2021  Ford Falcom White   Gaylard Road IMAGE FLAT  IV2100055
05/02/2021 Mazda Blue 133YYJ Orringa Street WURTULLA IV2000946
08/02/2021 Toyota Camry Silver   Wishart Crescent BARINGA   IV2100062 
13/02/2021 Nissan Pulsar White   River Esplanade MOOLOOLABA   IV2100038 
13/02/2021  Holden Sedan White  664ZIO Creightons Road KULANGOOR IV2100077 
15/02/2021  Mitsubishi Lancer Dark Blue  703XZV  Holbrook Court YAROOMBA IV2100153 
17/02/2021 Holden Berlina Silver      Mooloo Crescent NAMBOUR IV2100100
18/02/2021 Ford Territory Black   Allen Street MOFFAT BEACH IV2100087
24/02/2021 Peugeot Hatch Grey   Sylvan Street BUDERIM IV2100123
25/02/2021 Hyundai Coupe Blue   Pakee Street ALEXANDRA HEADLAND IV2100130
04/03/2021 Ford Falcon Silver   Gloucester Road BUDERIM IV2100142
12/03/2021 Holden Sedan Blue   Bright Place BIRTINYA IV2100169
17/03/2021 Holden Wagon White 092YXF Geo Hawkins Crescent COURBOULD PARK IV2100171
18/03/2021 Holden Sedan Bronze   Varsityview Court SIPPY DOWNS IV2100145


Subaru Wagon White   Bepaume Court AROONA IV2100188
23/03/2021 Trailer Unknown Black   Sunjewel Boulevard CURRIMUNDI IV2100203
30/03/2021 Toyota Echo Red 609JUC Coolum Terrace COOLUM BEACH IV2100196
01/04/2021 Toyota Rav 4 Silver WPZ065 Edward Street POINT ARKWRIGHT IV2100214
01/04/2021 Toyota Corolla Silver 278JGQ George Street ALEXANDRA HEADLAND
07/04/2021 Mazda CX 5   Plover Parade CALOUNDRA IV2100283

There are currently no impounded goods

Sunshine Coast Council abandoned vehicle auctions have moved to an online auction platform. Slattery Auctions will run regular auctions for all abandoned vehicles and unclaimed impounded items.

These auctions will occur on a regular basis and are open to everyone. Online bidding will be available for all items.

Terms and conditions

  • Auctions are held online at Slattery Auctions website.
  • Images are available on Slattery's Sunshine Coast Council auction page prior to auction.
  • Full payment is required on the day of the auction (EFTPOS accepted).
  • Items are sold 'as is' and must be collected on the Wednesday following the auction between 9am–4pm from Nambour. Additional storage costs will be charged on items not collected on this day.
  • Council reserves the right to withdraw any vehicle advertised before the auction.