Plumbing and drainage work
  • Last updated:
  • 01 Nov 2022

All plumbing and drainage work must comply with current legislative requirements and regulations. This includes:

  • water supply
  • gasfitting
  • sanitary
  • roofing (stormwater)
  • drainage
  • mechanical services (heating, cooling and ventilation)
  • fire protection, and
  • irrigation.

You need a licensed plumber or drainer for work, other than unregulated work. You can check your plumber or drainer's license online. Refer to the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC).

The QBCC website has details of what is required for each type of work.

Permit work requires council assessment and approval before commencing work. It also requires mandatory inspections.

It is important that plumbing and drainage issues are reported to the correct agency. Contact Unitywater for issues with water supply and sewage treatment services.

Find out more about your specific issue and report a problem below.

Contaminated water incidents can be serious. A backflow prevention device stops unwanted water flow entering our drinking water supply. This protects us from drinking or using contaminated water.

Owners of a testable backflow prevention device must have it inspected or tested by a licensed plumber every year. Council keeps a register of devices.

Failure to maintain backflow devices may result in compliance enforcement action.

Before submitting your concerns please read council’s information on backflow prevention devices.

Report an issue with a backflow prevention device.

Contact Unitywater for issues with water supply and sewage infrastructure.

It is the property owner’s responsibility for issues on private property. You need a licensed plumber or drainer for work, other than unregulated work.

Grey water from the bath, shower, hand basin and laundry can be diverted for reuse on lawns and gardens. Kitchen grey water is not suitable for reuse. Grease and oil can clog irrigation systems and build up on soil surfaces.

You must have a development permit from council before installation of:

  • grey water diversion device to divert grey water from the bathroom and/or laundry to an irrigation hose
  • grey water treatment system to collect and treat the grey water it to a high standard for reuse as garden irrigation.

You don't need a permit for manual bucketing or to connect a flexible hose to a washing machine outlet.

Before submitting your concerns, please read council’s information on greywater.

Report issues with greywater systems to council.

Some areas do not have access to Unitywater sewerage infrastructure. These properties use individual onsite sewerage facilities (OSF). These systems treat the sewerage generated from the household or commercial property. They dispose of the treated waste within the property boundaries.

If you have an OSF, it is your responsibility as the property owner, to ensure it is working properly. Common failures include blockage from tree roots, overflowing and odours. These facilities must be checked and maintained annually by a  licensed plumber with OSF endorsement.

Before submitting your concerns, please read council’s information on onsite sewerage treatment.

Report issues with on-site sewerage facilities to council.

Council manages a holding tank service contract on behalf of domestic and commercial residents. Pump-out services are available to holding tank owners weekly, fortnightly or monthly. From 9 July 2023, council is no longer providing liquid waste collection services. Our liquid waste collection service page has more information.

Odour nuisances are regulated under the Environmental Protection Act 1994 and council can investigate complaints.

Council recommends prior to lodging a complaint, you take steps to try to resolve to issue with the person causing the odour nuisance.

Read more about holding tanks.

Report issues with holding tanks.

Construction of stormwater systems is included with a development permit for building work.

In the first instance, for issues relating to building work you should contact the responsible private building certifier .

You can search Development.i for basic information about recent development permits for building work on the Sunshine Coast. This includes details of the responsible private building certifier.

Recent building or works at a property causing stormwater nuisance

Pollution and erosion from building sites can be an issue. This can include drainage issues or flooding.

Read more about erosion and sediment control. 

Stormwater from private property 

Council recommends prior to lodging a complaint, you take steps to try and resolve any stormwater or flooding issues affecting your property with your neighbours. 

Council may become involved if water is being concentrated and directed onto a neighbouring property. For example, where:

  • your neighbour has installed a down pipe that has an outlet near your property
  • an agricultural drain or seepage drain outlet causes water to flow across your property.

If you and your neighbour cannot resolve the problem, the State Justice Department Dispute Resolution Centre can provide mediation without legal action.

Read more about stormwater associated with residential properties.

Maintenance of stormwater infrastructure

Request a service for matters related to:

  • council stormwater infrastructure
  • bioretention basins
  • run off from roads, reserves or parklands.

Council does not maintain allotment drainage, household stormwater drains or roof drains. This is the property owner's responsibility.

Report a stormwater nuisance.

Council is committed to ensuring accessibility for everyone, please contact us if you require assistance on this page.