Become a beach citizen scientist and help us monitor changes in our coastline over time. Download the free CoastSnap app and visit a CoastSnap station at Coolum, Alexandra Headland, Buddina or Moffat Beach and start snapping.
How to add your snap to the CoastSnap App
- Download the CoastSnap app
- Visit one of our CoastSnap station
- Open the app and create an account with your email address
- Select the CoastSnap station for your locatio
- Add your snap using the plus button to ‘update spot’
- Place your phone in the cradle and take a landscape photo using the app. You could also upload a recent photo from your gallery
- Share your snap. Complete the ‘update spot’ form in the app and save your snap to submit it.
Sunshine Coast CoastSnap locations
- Coolum Beach - Beach Access 77
- Alexandra Headland - Beach Access 156 next to Alex Skate Park
- Buddina - Point Cartwright car park, Beach Access 199
- Moffat Beach - temporarily out of order.
What happens to my snap
We’ll use your CoastSnap to monitor/map the way the coast changes over time. The snap is an accurate record of the shoreline and the amount of sand on the beach at that moment in time.
What we learn
The technology behind CoastSnap is able to compile the images you snap and upload into time-lapse video to track changes to our shoreline, giving researchers and council’s engineers insights into how our beaches change and recover after storms, big tides and severe weather, and in response to long-term environmental change such as sea level rise.
For more information visit CoastSnap.