- Last updated:
- 31 Aug 2021
Council purchases land using Environment Levy funding to help achieve the goals of the Environment and Liveability Strategy. We are aiming to:
- protect, preserve and enhance our natural environment and wildlife corridors
- consolidate and grow council’s conservation reserve network
- preserve native plants and animals
- create and protect new habitat areas to offset unavoidable vegetation loss.
Environment Levy land acquisition interactive map
Recent land acquisition program highlights:
$1.7 million invested into the acquisition of four properties, adding 90 hectares to council's conservation estate:
- 65 hectares adjoining Glass House Mountains National Park, Landsborough (Read more)
- 13 hectares (comprising two properties) establishing Maroochy River Environment Reserve, Maroochy River (Read more)
- 16 hectares within Blue Heart area, 10 of which was funded by the Levy to deliver conservation outcomes (Read more)
These acquisitions provide opportunities to support conservation and recreation for the community and protect habitat for threatened species such as the water mouse (Xeromys myoides) and significant species such as the brush-tailed phascogale (Phascogale tapoatafa).
$5.63 million invested into the purchase of 6 properties, adding 242 hectares to council's conservation estate:
- 94 hectares in Verrierdale, expanding Doonan Creek Environment Reserve to 450 hectares and protecting an additional 2 km stretch of Doonan Creek. (Read more)
- 38 hectares (comprising 3 properties) within the Blue Heart Sunshine Coast—expanding Coolum Creek Environment Reserve. (Read more)
- 109 hectares (comprising 2 properties) within the Lower Mooloolah River Major Green Space—providing opportunities for habitat restoration and protecting important riparian vegetation along the Mooloolah River.
These new properties consolidate and expand surrounding public lands and assist in protecting habitat corridors for our native plants and animals to thrive.
Read more about our region's major green space planning.