Council monitors film production on council-controlled land to ensure the activities:
- are done safely
- do not have too much impact on residents, businesses and visitors and
- do not conflict with other events or activities.
Council’s Local Law outlines that an approval is required for filming such as:
- feature films
- television commercials
- travel shows
- still photography shots.
Approval is not needed for:
- filming on private land
- audio and visual recording of a wedding or other private celebration or event
- filming for a school/university project.
How to apply?
An application can be lodged through MyCouncil or by completing the application form and returning it to council.
The application form must be completed in full and submitted to council no later than two (2) weeks prior to filming, and any advertising or promotion.
If you are submitting an application less than 2 weeks prior to filming please contact council to ensure your application is reviewed as a priority.
- Commercial filming application form (DOCX, 263KB).
There are times when approvals may be required from other agencies. Council officers can provide advice on receiving an application. Some examples include:
- fireworks, pyrotechnics and special effects are approved by the Resources Safety & Health Queensland with notifications to the Queensland Police and Queensland Fire and Emergency Services
- road closures on a state-controlled road are approved by the Department of Transport and Main Roads
- building structures may require certification from a private building certifier in additional to approval by council before construction starts.
Sunshine Coast Screen Locations Gallery
To help increase visibility of the Sunshine Coast's film locations, a dynamic new online gallery was launched which feeds into the Screen Queensland's film locations gallery and the global locations database.
For more information check out our news item: Coast's screen industry shines bright and takes centre stage.