The digital revolution is fundamentally changing the way we live, work and connect with each other. Innovative technologies are disrupting and transforming all industries. They also provide opportunities to deliver social and economic benefits for our region and communities.
Council developed the initial Smart City Framework in 2016. It ensured major projects such as the new Maroochydore City Centre addressed the growing emphasis on digital infrastructure, use of multi-function poles, and sensors/devices to deliver data for decision making.
Our Smart City Framework and Implementation Plan 2022-2025 (PDF, 2.19 MB) identifies the elements necessary to achieve a successful and integrated program of digital solutions and services to:
- improve asset use and maintenance
- support enhanced data collection and real-time/historical insights to improve decision making
- support improved service delivery, scheduling and responses
- help design better public spaces
- create cleaner, more liveable urban areas.
Smart city benefits
Creating a smart city has many benefits for ratepayers and the environment including:
- improved service delivery and quality of lifestyle for residents
- improved town planning and better designed public spaces
- reduced carbon emissions, traffic congestion and energy use
- increased safety
- attracts more investment and business
- increased employment opportunities
- increased local business competitiveness.
For more information please view the Smart City Framework and Implementation Plan 2022-2025 (PDF, 2.19 MB)
Email [email protected], or contact the Smart City Team on (07) 5475 7272.
The Sunshine Coast has been named a global Top7 Intelligent Community in 2019, 2020 and 2022. We have also been named a Smart21 community nine times. The international awards program recognises the accomplishments of communities in developing inclusive prosperity on a foundation of information and communications technology.