Beauty and tattooing

Starting a new or taking over an existing personal appearance service? You may need a personal appearance service licence.

Hairdressing, beauty therapy and skin penetration such as tattooing and body piercing are personal appearance services (PAS). Hairdressers, nail salons and beauty therapists, as well as tattooing, body piercing and other skin penetration can spread diseases and cause infections. There are a number of documents that new and existing PAS licences need to be aware of. They include:

A personal appearance service can be operated from a home, commercial premises or mobile premises, e.g. a caravan.