A garden organics bin is an easy and convenient way to manage your garden waste at home.
About the service
Garden organics bins are emptied fortnightly, on the same day as your general waste bin (on the alternate week to recycling bins). Bin lids are lime green. Find out your bin collection day.
We have expanded our garden organics service to eligible households across the region to reduce waste going to landfill and move to a net zero emissions organisation by 2041. Find out more in our frequently asked questions.
Organic garden materials that can go in your bin
- lawn clippings
- leaves and twigs
- small branches and palm fronds smaller than 30cm
- garden prunings
Items that cannot go in your bin
- general rubbish
- plastic bags
- logs, stumps or tree limbs larger than 30cm
- bricks, rocks or rubble
- dirt, soil, sand or potting mix
- fruit or food scraps
- treated timber
- garden accessories like plant pots, gnomes or hoses
- rope or plastic
Please do not put anything other than vegetation into your bin. Putting non-green waste into a garden organics bin can contaminate an entire truck load. Bins are monitored by closed circuit cameras.
Garden organics bin charges
Garden organics bin collection fees are paid as part of your council rates. The cost for the fortnightly garden organics service is $36 per year (subject to change).
If you do not already have a garden organics bin, we encourage you to opt in by completing the online form.
Garden organics bin collection guidelines
- Bin collection vehicles operate from 6.00am to 6.00pm. Please place your bin on the kerb before 6.00am on your collection day.
- Place your bin within half a metre from the roadside, with wheels facing away from the road. Please place your wheelie bins a minimum of 500mm apart.
- If the bin contents exceed 80kg, it cannot be emptied.
- All items placed in the bin should fit loosely so that the bin empties easily.
- The bin lid must be able to close completely.
- Please ensure your bin is returned to the property as soon as practical after emptying.
Waste collections occur between 6.00am and 6.00pm on the day of service. A service is not considered 'missed' until after 6.00pm. To report a missed service complete the online form.
Note: You should only report a missed service after 6.00pm on the service day but before close of business the following working day.
If an owner or authorised agent requires an extra waste collection in addition to their regular service, complete the online form. Extra services are charged according to bin sizes. Refer to the fee schedule for relevant costs. An invoice will be posted to the authorised requestor. Tenants can order extra services via this form, but must pre-pay before collection.
Garden organics bin enquiries
Complete the online form to:
- order new bins
- change the size of your bins
- report stolen or damaged bins or
- let us know if you've found a bin.
Please note that residents are responsible for the cleanliness of their bins.