- Last updated:
- 08 Mar 2020
Council provides a weekly domestic general waste collection service to Sunshine Coast residents.
Find the collection day for your general waste bin.
Waste bins are for general household waste only, such as food waste and plastic bags. They are not suitable for recyclables. These items are to be placed in your recycling bin.
Council is in the process of changing the bin lid colour for general waste, so that it meets Australian standards. This means over a period of time all green lid domestic general waste bin lids will change to red.
Waste collections occur between 6.00am and 6.00pm on the day of service. A service is not considered 'missed' until after 6.00pm. To report a missed service contact council.
New, damaged or replacement bins
Request new bins for your property, report damaged or stolen bins to a customer service officer by completing the online form.
Note: Residents are responsible for the cleanliness of their bin.
Waste collection charges
Your council rates include general waste bin collection fee.
Waste bin collection guidelines
- bin collection vehicles operate from 6.00am to 6.00pm. Please place your bin on the kerb before 6.00am on your collection day
- bins should be placed a minimum of 500mm apart on the kerbside
- please ensure the following materials are not placed in the waste bin:
- hazardous, chemical, or medical waste
- building waste
- car parts
- heavy items such as large rocks or concrete
- 240 L bin maximum permissible weight = 80 kg
- if the bin contents exceed the allowable limit it cannot be emptied
- all items placed in the bin should fit loosely so the bin empties easily
- the bin lid must be able to close completely
- lightweight materials such as vacuum cleaner dust should be contained in a plastic bag
- place your bin within half a metre from the roadside, with wheels facing away from the road
- ensure the collection truck has access to the bin, with no obstacles in the truck’s way
- please ensure your bin is returned to the property as soon as practical after emptying.
If an owner or authorised agent requires an extra waste collection in addition to their regular service, complete the online form. Extra services are charged according to bin sizes. Refer to the fee schedule for relevant costs. An invoice will be posted to the authorised requestor. Tenants can request a pre-paid service by contacting council.
For non-residential service enquiries refer to commercial waste bins information.