- Last updated:
- 19 Jan 2020
A garden waste bin is an easy way to manage your garden waste at home. For less than the cost of a cup of coffee per week, optional garden waste bins are serviced every fortnight.
About the service
Garden waste bins are collected on the same day as your general waste bin (on the alternate weeks to recycling bins). Garden waste bin lids will be either brown or lime green. Find the collection day for your garden waste bin.
You can put the following green waste items into garden waste bins:
- lawn clippings
- leaves and twigs
- small branches
- garden prunings.
Garden waste bins are not suitable for general waste, plastic bags or other recyclables. Please do not put anything other than vegetation into your bin. Bricks and rubble, sand and dirt, or heavy items such as large logs and stumps cannot be placed into a garden bin.
Putting non-green waste into a garden waste bin can contaminate an entire truck load. Bins are monitored by closed circuit cameras and persistent contamination can result in the termination of your service with no refund.
Garden waste charges
Garden waste bin collection fees are paid as part of your council rates. The cost for the fortnightly garden waste service is $60 per annum with a pro-rata charge for a part year. There is no pro-rata refund when this service is cancelled.
Garden waste bin collection guidelines
- Bin collection vehicles operate from 6.00am to 6.00pm. Please place your bin on the kerb before 6.00am on your collection day. A service is not considered 'missed' until after 6.00 pm. You should only report a missed service after 6.00pm on the service day but before close of business the following working day.
- Place your bin within half a metre from the roadside, with wheels facing away from the road. Please place your wheelie bins a minimum of 500mm apart.
- If the bin contents exceed 80 kilograms, it cannot be emptied.
- All items placed in the bin should fit loosely so that the bin empties easily.
- The bin lid must be able to close completely.
- Please ensure your bin is returned to the property as soon as practical after emptying.
If an owner or authorised agent requires an extra waste collection in addition to their regular service, complete the online form. Extra services are charged according to bin sizes. Refer to the fee schedule for relevant costs. An invoice will be posted to the authorised requestor. Tenants can request a pre-paid service by contacting council.
Bin damage and replacement
You can report damaged or stolen bins to a customer service officer by completing the online form.
Please note that residents are responsible for the cleanliness of their bins.