- Last updated:
- 09 Mar 2021
Road safety is all about making safer choices when you drive, ride, use a mobility scooter, catch public transport or walk.
Council provides travel behaviour change information on:
- road safety
- community transport services
- sustainable transport.
Share the path campaign
Getting out and about on pathways is an important way to boost physical and mental health. We can all use the path to have fun and get where we’re going safely if we pay attention and follow a few simple guidelines.
See if you can find the following five key behavioural messages, which are located on the Coastal Pathway:
- Keep Left – Pass Right (to educate pedestrians which side to pass on)
- Give Way with a Smile (to encourage politeness)
- Slow Down and Cruise (to slow down riders when passing walkers)
- Lead by Example (to reinforce that dogs should be on a tight lead)
- Make the Right Call (to encourage bike riders to call out or ring their bell)
Pathways are shared and you should act responsibly to avoid harm to yourself and to others.
So give it a try when you are out on the pathway (#sharewithcare) and Share the Path!
This is a joint initiative funded by Sunshine Coast Council and the Queensland Government's Community Road Safety Grants scheme.
Safe driving for seniors
With good health and the right attitude to driving older motorists should be able to keep on-road mobility and independence.
In early 2020, RACQ delivered the Years Ahead Program for Seniors at Sunshine Coast Libraries. The program is available on the RACQ website. It can help you drive safer for longer by being aware of your own capabilities.
- road safety issues
- changes to road rules
- helpful driving tips
- important issues such as fitness and medical requirements to drive
- options available once retired from driving.
Funding from the Queensland Government's Community Road Safety Grants Scheme supported this initiative.
- Council's Road Safety Plan
- Department of Transport & Main Roads - StreetSmarts Road Safety initiatives
- Amy Gillett Foundation - A Metre Matters
- Department of Transport & Main Roads - Bicycle Riding
- Share our roads brochure - Share our roads
- Share our paths brochure - Share our paths
Resources for Seniors
- Department of Transport & Main Roads - Seniors: Safe Driving
- Department of Transport & Main Roads - Medical fitness to drive
- Queensland Police Service - Resources for Seniors
- TransLink - Public transport for Seniors