- Last updated:
- 25 Feb 2020
Road safety is all about making safer choices when you drive, ride, use a mobility scooter, catch public transport or walk.
Council will offer travel behaviour change information and provide information sessions on:
- road safety
- community transport services; and
- sustainable transport
There will also be workshops, activities and events for Seniors to help you stay independent, mobile and safe.
Years Ahead - Safety driving for Seniors by RACQ
With good health and the right attitude to driving, older motorists should be able to keep on-road mobility and independence.
Throughout January and February 2020, RACQ delivered the Years Ahead Program for Seniors at six of our Sunshine Coast Libraries. The program helps you drive safer for longer by being aware of your own capabilities. Road safety issues, changes to road rules and helpful driving tips were also included, as well as important issues such as fitness, medical requirements to drive, and options available once retired from driving.
Funding from the Queensland Government's Community Road Safety Grants Scheme supports this initiative.
Following are links to a number of helpful resources:
- Council's Road Safety Plan
- Department of Transport & Main Roads - Senior Cyclists
- Department of Transport & Main Roads - Seniors: Safe Driving
- Queensland Police Service - Resources for Seniors
- Amy Gillett Foundation - A Metre Matters
- Council's Health & Wellbeing programs
- TransLink - Public transport for Seniors