Aggressive driving (hooning)
  • Last updated:
  • 08 Jul 2021

Illegal drag racing, burn-outs, speeding and other reckless road behaviour poses risks to the community. Hooning affects all road users and members of the public. It also poses risk to drivers and their passengers.

Reporting incidences of hooning

Council receives many requests to reduce hooning. However, council does not have the statutory powers to deal with this issue. You should refer incidences of illegal driving (hooning) to the Policelink Anti-hooning Hotline on 13HOON (134666).

When reporting a hooning incident, provide police with:

  • a description of the vehicle/s
  • vehicle registration
  • time and date of offence
  • location of the offence (including the nearest cross street)
  • a description of the driver.

This information will help police in dealing with offenders.

Traffic calming and speed limits

It is widely believed that traffic calming methods, such as speed humps, roundabouts or lower speed limits will reduce hooning. Extensive research and experience across Australia shows that this is not the case.

Research into deterring anti-social behaviour appears to support law enforcement and impounding of vehicles for serious and repeat offenders to be the most effective methods of deterring this type of behaviour.


State government legislation gives power to Queensland Police to address illegal driving. The police anti-hooning measures allow for the removal of vehicles where motorists are found drag racing and/or dangerously driving. These powers came into effect in November 2002.

In April 2013, the Queensland Government approved amendments to the Police Powers and Responsibilities Act 2000. The latest changes allow police to impound vehicles used for hooning (in the first instance) for up to 90 days.

Noise pollution

Council investigates nuisance noise and light complaints under the regulations of the Environmental Protection Act 1994. However, road noise falls under the classification of ‘protected infrastructure’ and as such is exempt from the Environmental Protection Act. More information can be found on council’s Noise and light webpage.

More information

  • Use the online form below to advise if this information was helpful. Suggestions may be made anonymously. 
  • For more information and to report an issue, please contact the Policelink Anti-hooning Hotline on 13HOON (134666).
  • For other information on road safety issues visit the Roads and Transport page.
  • Pdf factsheet of Aggressive driving (hooning)[134KB].