Settlement services
  • Last updated:
  • 29 Jun 2020

There are a range of services that assist people to settle into the Sunshine Coast. They can help with English language classes and access to health, employment, education and transport.

Suncoast Settlement Program

Provides free confidential information to support permanent residents who have arrived in the last 5 years as refugees, humanitarian entrants or family stream migrants. Get help to access services such as health, employment, education and transport and better understand various aspects of life in Australia.

Phone: 5441 4660

Multicultural Australia - MA

MA Settlement Engagement and Transition Support (SETS)[3301KB] Client Services program promotes successful lifelong settlement of migrants, by supporting people to build independence and community connection.

Phone: 5491 4000 / 0423 298 363

Translating important documents 

The Australian Government offers free translations of important documents within two years of your arrival in Australia. This includes translations of documents such as wedding certificates, driver’s licences and professional qualifications. 

Phone: 1800 962 100

You can also pay for translators or interpreters through the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters Organisation (NAATI) or Phone: 1300 557 470


You may be eligible for government assistance while you settle in. The Department of Human Services issues government payments and allowances for families, students, job seekers, those with a disability and carers through Centrelink. 

Depending on your visa, there may be a waiting period before you can receive payments.

Centrelink has translated information to help you learn about available payments and services.

You can also contact the multilingual phone service  and speak with a skilled bilingual service officer
Phone: 131 202

Visas and citizenship

The Department of Home Affairs issue all Australian visas and citizenships. The website is a good starting point for all the information you need.

When you become a citizen you can apply for an Australian passport.

Bringing family to Australia

If you want to bring family members to Australia you will need to contact the Department of Home Affairs to check the rules and requirements. 
Phone: 131 881

Migration agents

If you want to use a Migration Agent, they must be registered with the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority

Expired visas

If your visa has expired, you can talk anonymously with Department of Home Affairs
Phone: 131 881 or 131 450 for translation and interpretation help.