- Last updated:
- 09 Sep 2020
We partner with volunteers, schools, businesses and community groups to protect our local beaches and coastal environments from litter and marine debris.
From 2016 to 2020, together we collected 450,000 pieces of litter, almost 11 tonnes of rubbish as part of the Beach Clean Up Program.
How to get involved
- Whenever you are out in our beautiful environment, please safely pick up any litter you see. Even just one piece can make a difference.
- Join in with some of our Clean Ocean Champions below, from on the ground action to sharing information and inspiration through social media, there are so many ways to get involved.
- Join in one of Council’s regional beach clean up events listed below.
- Start your own regular beach clean up for the community to join. For further details and support contact council.
|Schools Beach Clean Up||2 - 6 November 2020 (Monday to Friday)||
Schools Beach Clean Up is a school based clean up held in November each year to prepare our beaches for the return of the nesting Loggerhead Turtles. Currently we are seeking interest from schools that would like to join in. For more details contact Coastal and Canals.
Seeking expressions of interest (EOIs) from schools wishing to participate.
|Clean Up for Hatchlings
||To be confirmed
Clean Up for Hatchlings is an annual event held annually in February. We have volunteers and co-ordinators at most beach locations across the Sunshine Coast where turtles have nested over summer. The event aims to remove as much marine debris from our beaches so that our loggerhead turtle hatchlings have the safest journey to the ocean as possible! Keep an eye on Council’s social media pages for more information as we get closer to the event.
|Clean Up Australia Day||Sunday 7 March 2021||Clean Up Australia Day is held on the first Sunday in March every year. For more information about this event and locations where you can join in on the clean up action contact the Clean Up Australia website.
For further information about joining a group, please contact one of the many Clean Ocean Champions listed below:
- Beach Clean Ups Sunshine Coast
- Cleanwater Group
- Coolum and North Shore Coast Care
- Conservation Volunteers Australia
- Night Eyes Water and Land Care Group (southern end of the Sunshine Coast)
- Ocean Crusaders
- Reef Check Australia
- SeaFrame Aus
- Sea Shepherd Sunshine Coast
- Surfrider Sunshine Coast
- Ten Little Pieces
- Cam Saves the World - Coolum Beach
- Legend Element - Alexandra Headland Beach
- North Shore Clean Up Crew - North Shore Beach & Yaroomba Beach
- Plastic Free Sunshine Coast - Mooloolaba Beach
- Sea Life Sunshine Coast - Mooloolaba Beach & other waterways
- Visionary Ocean Warriors - Golden Beach
There are so many individuals, schools, groups and businesses helping to keep our Sunshine Coast clean. If you would like your beach clean up added to the above list please contact Coastal and Canals.