- Last updated:
- 19 Sep 2018
The Sunshine Coast is one of Queensland’s most popular tourism destinations and its economy depends strongly on the tourism industry. The region hosts a variety of major events each year, which reinforce its reputation as a leading tourism destination. These events support local businesses and contribute to a range of community development goals.
Sunshine Coast Council aims to position the region as Australia’s premier regional major events destination. It has adopted the Sunshine Coast Major Events Strategy 2018-2027 and appointed the Sunshine Coast Events Board.
The Sponsorship Program helps fund events that attract tourists during the low seasons and generate media and brand exposure.
Applicants should submit an application form and budget.
- can significantly benefit the local economy by attracting visitors from outside the region
- can generate media and brand exposure for the Sunshine Coast from outside the region
- is to be held within the boundaries of the Sunshine Coast Local Government Area.
- business events which focus on conventions, conferences and incentive travel (visit Business Events Assistance Program)
- community events, as they do not usually focus on attracting visitors from outside the region
- events of a charitable, religious or political nature
- events that are closed to the public, either as participants or spectators.
Event promotion and resourcesEvent promoters are encouraged to use the significant marketing and promotional resources available through Visit Sunshine Coast, the regional tourism organisation:
The Sunshine Coast is home to many great venues that can be used for events including, but not limited to:
- Sunshine Coast Stadium / Kawana Sports Precinct
- Maroochydore Multi Sports Precinct
- Caloundra Indoor Stadium
- University of the Sunshine Coast Sports Precinct
- The Events Centre Caloundra
- Venue 114
The Sunshine Coast has many outdoor venues where events can be held. Temporary permits are required for these.
For more information prior to submitting an application, please contact council's Senior Major Events Liaison Officer on 0409 365 143 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.