Permit for temporary work within a road/verge

Road and footpath activities are controlled under Local Law 1.

There are occasions when council will approve a permit to conduct works within a road or verge. These permits are issued for short term use only and not intended for permanent use of the road or verge.

A permit is required for the temporary occupation of the road or verge by a private resident or commercial operator for non-profit purpose and commercial buildings. An example of the use of the road or verge can be:

  • storing of shipping containers or skip bins for construction works
  • crane lift of equipment e.g. pool installation
  • renovations to shopfronts including painting awnings or erecting new signage
  • storing of materials for constructions
  • erecting signage or safety fences/barriers for construction
  • demolition or constructions works.

To apply you must complete the temporary works within a road or verge application form (DOCX, 176KB).

Utility providers: refer to Public Utility Services for infrastructure installation within road reserves.


  • applications will be assessed in accordance with the documentation provided and suitability of the proposed works
  • if necessary, a site visit may be conducted by an authorised council officer
  • read the fact sheet (PDF, 171KB) for more information.

Fees and timeframes

  • each permit application is assessed on a case-by-case basis. A non-refundable application fee applies and must be paid when you lodge the application
  • a bond is also payable and is assessed on a case by case basis
  • refer to the temporary works within a road or verge application form (DOCX, 176KB) for current application fees
  • allow a minimum of 28 working days from receipt of application with all the relevant supporting documents to when approval is granted.

Permit requirements

  • a permit is required so council can assess the circumstances and ensure community safety is upheld and the road or verge function is not compromised
  • services such as water, sewerage, power and telecommunications may be located within the road or verge and can be damaged during digging activities. A permit ensures that under and above ground utilities have been checked prior to any works being approved
  • certain activities conducted on the road verge require a local law approval under Sunshine Coast Regional Council Subordinate Local Law No.1 (Administration) 2016 Schedule 4 - Alteration or improvement to local government controlled areas and roads.

Public liability insurance

  • where a permit application is approved, public liability insurance of $20 million is required for temporary works within a road or verge
  • public liability insurance is required to protect the residents’ interest should anything happen on council managed or controlled land where you intend to conduct activities. This will ensure that you, and anyone traversing the road verge is protected in the case of an accident or incident. Your home insurance company may provide public liability insurance.


  • the purpose of a bond is to cover any damage to existing infrastructure or vegetation and varies in accordance with level of risk and activity type
  • the bond is refunded once the activity is complete and council is satisfied that there has been no damage to existing vegetation or infrastructure outside of what was permitted.

Street trees

  • council has a long term goal to establish a healthy and sustainable street tree network across the region
  • adequate tree protection zones (TPZ) must be established around existing trees near to the proposed works. TPZ consider both the crown and root area of a tree that requires protection for long-term viability
  • the below figure provides an example of adequate TPZ to protect existing trees.

Dial before you dig

  • council requires all applicants to conduct a dial before you dig. This free service provides information on underground utilities to ensure there are no services located within your proposed garden that may be impacted
  • Visit or phone 1100.


For more information, please contact council.