On Monday 12 September 2011, council started applying certain local laws across all coast roads - including state-controlled roads - to improve the local amenity and safety of transport corridors.
This is an agreement between the Department of Transport and Main Roads and council allowing certain local laws to be applied on all roads in the region.
Areas covered by the agreement
The laws which are regulated by council on behalf of the Department of Transport and Main Roads are:
- Advertising device on council and state-controlled roads fact sheet (PDF, 182KB)
- Movable advertising devices information pack (including election signage) (DOCX, 587KB)
- Movable advertising devices application form (DOCX, 465KB)
- Roadside vending including vehicles for sale (PDF, 142KB)
- Wandering livestock and domestic animals
The Department of Transport and Main Roads and council are committed to providing a well-managed region that promotes and attracts visitors while ensuring a safe and healthy environment.
The areas under the agreement focus on enhancing the image and visual appearance of the region and increasing community confidence in a safe road network.
Education before regulation
Council has undertaken an extensive public awareness campaign, both in the media and through educational material to ensure residents have been informed of items that do not belong on the roadside.
For more information, please contact council.