Infringement notices and payments
  • Last updated:
  • 08 Aug 2022

Council can issue fines called infringement notices. Infringements can relate to:

  • parking

  • animals

  • parks and reserves

  • signage

  • vegetation

  • illegal dumping

  • littering

Why council issues infringements

Council issues infringements according to local laws and state laws including, but not limited to:

  • Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act 1995
  • Transport Operations (Road Use Management - Road Rules) Regulation 2009
  • Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008
  • Waste Reduction and Recycling Act 2011

To view the state laws, visit the Queensland Legislation website.

Paying an infringement

  • Pay your infringement notice with Visa or MasterCard
  • Pay in person at any post office by the due date.
  • Post a cheque or money order to Locked Bag 72, Sunshine Coast Mail Centre, QLD 4560. Please include a copy of the infringement notice.

Additional charges can apply if the infringement is not paid by the due date. If council conducts a search to find the vehicle owner and sends out a reminder notice, the search fee is then passed on to the owner.

The infringement amount and any additional charges must be paid on time. If it is not, it will be referred to the State Penalties Enforcement Registry (SPER). This will result in further charges. Once the matter has been referred to SPER, all dealings must be conducted with them and not with council.

You can request to enter into a payment plan with the State Penalties Enforcement Registry. This is only available for amounts over $200. You must contact council to make the arrangement. Any extra charges must also be paid to prevent the matter from being referred to SPER.

Payment options

  • Refer to the paying an infringement information above.
  • Payments must be made within 28 days after the date the infringement notice was issued. The matter will be finished and no further enforcement action taken.
  • Request a court hearing by filling in the details on the back of the notice.
  • Return it to the Chief Executive Officer, Sunshine Coast Council, Locked bag 72, Sunshine Coast Mail Centre QLD 4560.
  • If your request is received within 28 days after the date the infringement was issued, council may begin to prosecute you in a magistrates court
  • This is only available for infringement amounts of $200 or more. 
  • Fill in the back of the infringement notice to apply for an instalment plan. Return it with your first instalment of $60. Send it to the Chief Executive Officer, Sunshine Coast Council, Locked Bag 72, Sunshine Coast Mail Centre QLD 4560.
  • After you apply, the State Penalties Enforcement Registry (SPER) will send you an instalment plan. If you do not comply with the plan, SPER will take enforcement action, which may attract other fees.

Note: Once your instalment plan is in place please direct all enquiries to SPER on 1300 365 635.

The infringement will be finalised if:

  • Council receives your application for instalment plan within 28 days after the date the infringement notice was issued and
  • you make all monthly payments.

No further enforcement action will be taken against you.

All infringement notices are sent to vehicle owners. Owners are considered to have committed the offence. If you were not responsible for the vehicle at the time, you may be able to remove your responsibility for the infringement. You must fill out a statutory declaration to show the vehicle:

  • was being used illegally
  • was being used by another person (nominated by you)
  • was being used by another person (but unable to be identified)
  • has been sold or otherwise disposed of.

You must send your statutory declaration to council within 28 days after the date the notice was issued. Council may begin to prosecute a person who is identified as the offender. If the offender cannot be identified, council may prosecute you.

Withdrawal of an infringement

Council may consider the withdrawal of an infringement notice in extenuating circumstances

These include but are not limited to:

  • medical emergencies
  • vehicle malfunction
  • the circumstances leading up to the issuing of the notice were unavoidable.

Infringements will not be withdrawn for the following reasons:

  • financial hardship
  • being unaware of the law or not seeing the sign
  • disagreeing with the law. You may feel the offence for which the infringement notice has been issued is trivial or did not cause hazard
  • running out of petrol
  • not having adequate coins for the meter
  • stopped briefly in restricted zone.

You can submit a request for withdrawal via MyCouncil:

  • Register or login as an online user for MyCouncil
  • Refer to instructions.
  • Once logged into MyCouncil scroll to Applications dashboard
  • Select Submit New Application
  • Locate Issued infringement notice options
  • Select Request for withdrawal (appeal/review of decision).
  • Complete the application submission details and attach evidence where required

All supporting evidence must be attached. You can provide a statutory declaration as support for extenuating circumstances.

Upon receipt of your request for withdrawal your infringement will be placed on hold. You will be notified of the outcome within 45 days by your preferred method of correspondence.

You must submit a request for review within 28 days of issue of the infringement.

Providing evidence and additional information

It is important that you provide sufficient supporting evidence when you lodge your request for a withdrawal form. This helps council to make an informed decision.

Please include with this form (if applicable)

  • photographs or diagrams
  • vehicle repair receipt
  • statutory declaration
    • advising the vehicle has been sold (copy of transfer papers or receipt of sale must be provided)
    • advising illegal use (written advice or crime report from the Queensland Police Service must be provided)
    • if you were not the driver of the vehicle, indicating who the driver was at the time the infringement notice was issued. Include the name and contact details of the driver.
  • copies of permits or disabled permits not displayed at the time of the offence
  • copies of medical certificates or other proof to support your case.

The fastest way to lodge an infringement Request for Withdrawal is through the MyCouncil application process. Alternatively, you may wish to lodge a hardcopy request via mail or email - request for withdrawal form (DOCX, 231KB).


For more information, or if you need assistance, please contact council.