- Last updated:
- 08 Feb 2019
This cost pays:
- for the full cost of providing the service
- for treating holding tank waste at sewage treatment plants
- for the annual price increase charged by the pump-out contractor.
Council manages a holding tank service contract on behalf of domestic and commercial residents. Holding tank owners benefit from council’s bulk purchase arrangement. The cost to organise this service individually would be almost double.
Holding tank service charges increase usually each year. This is due to disposal and contract cost increases, including CPI impacts related to fuel prices. Council has been able to not increase the charge this year due to negotiated contract terms.
Three pump-out frequencies are available to holding tank owners as follows:
Liquid Waste Service
Annual Charge 2018-2019
Permanent Holding Tank Services (weekly)
Permanent Holding Tank Services (fortnightly)
Permanent Holding Tank Services (every four weeks)
A maximum pump out allowance of 6,000 litres per service is included in the scheduled holding tank charge.
Any extra litres which extracted are charged at the rate of $0.01 per litre and are invoiced to the property owner.
A cyclic frequency for low occupancy premises is also available at $151 per service.
You can decrease pump-out frequency, and in turn costs, by reducing the amount of wastewater that enters the system:
- Divert grey water from the laundry or bathroom.
- Fix dripping taps.
- Install a low flow showerhead and dual flush toilets.
- Reduce shower times.
- Do not allow roof or surface water to enter the system.
- Join council’s free Living Smart homes program and learn how it may reduce your home’s water consumption.
- Download your guide to reducing waste water for holding tanks
Council charges holding tank service fees on the two rate notices for the year, in advance.
Additional or extra holding tank services are available if service is required prior to scheduled service day. Once frequency of holding tank service is set, if service is required outside scheduled timeframe, additional service fee applies.
Additional service charge is $151 per service when requested during contracted hours (Monday to Saturday). If an additional service is required after hours, a charge of $380 is applicable.