Sunny and Sasha tips and activities
Animals play an important role in the family. Here are some useful tips and fun activities from our mascots Sunny the dog and Sasha the cat.
We also have tips and resources for the grown ups.
Sunny and Sasha's tips and tricks
Ensure dogs and cats wear their registration tags and details are up to date.
Protect your mate and shut the gate when playing with your dog at home or in an exercise area.
Leash, tag, and bag when going for a walk - keep your dog on lead at all times, unless in a signed leash-free area, and remember to dispose of the poo bag in a bin.
Leave dogs alone if they are eating or sleeping to stay safe - jumping or sitting on their backs can hurt and make them cranky.
Refrain from playing tug-of-war games, dogs love to play “hide and seek” instead.
If you see a dog out roaming, tell an adult as it might not be friendly.
When Sammy met Sunny
A heartwarming story about a boy named Sammy who wants to prove to his parents he is responsible in his desire to own a dog. It’s a story of adventure, emotion and perseverance. Written and illustrated by council officers Hannah Maloney and Kylene Marie.
- Visit any Sunshine Coast Council Library to borrow a copy of our book 'When Sammy Met Sunny'.
- You can also purchase a copy at council's customer contact centres for $14.95 (in person collection only).
Download and print some fun activities to do together as a family.
- Dog mask (PDF, 102KB)
- Cat mask (PDF, 96KB)
- Sunny and Sasha colouring-in sheet (PDF, 700KB)
- Pet education activity (PDF, 553KB). Help Sunny and Sasha get dressed before they go for a walk.
- Make some toys for your pet following the Pet toys with Gretchen Keelty video. Parental supervision recommended.
Learn how to greet a dog safely
When meeting a dog you would like to pat, be sure to follow some simple rules:
- Ask a parent or guardian
- Ask the pet owner
- Let the dog come to you
- Pat gently on the shoulder
To learn about the do's and don'ts of how to greet a dog watch the video.
Download these educational flashcards (PDF, 1.8MB) to learn how to stay safe around dogs. These flashcards are part of the Smart Paws Pet Awareness Program.