- Last updated:
- 17 Feb 2020
Council adopted the Sunshine Coast Community Strategy 2019-2041 at its Ordinary Meeting on 14 November 2019.
The Community Strategy provides a long-term framework for how council and our community will work together to advance our shared goal of a strong community through to 2041.
The Sunshine Coast is experiencing a transformation from a regional centre to a regional city. Our community is growing each year. This growth brings exciting opportunities, however, we also need to plan and support our communities well to ensure we remain strong, continue to thrive and can adapt well to change. It is vital that council has a clear framework for the future so that people and places remain connected, inclusive and cohesive.
The purpose of the Community Strategy is to achieve five outcomes:
- Empower our community to live healthy and active lifestyles
- Focus on ensuring community places and spaces are vibrant, inclusive, accessible, adaptable and meet the needs of people of all ages, abilities and backgrounds
- Strengthen connection, inclusion and opportunity for all people in our community
- Build capacity in our communities to be connected, resilient and to respond to local issues
- Nurture creative and innovative approaches to building a strong community.
The Community Strategy consists of two parts:
- The Sunshine Coast Community Strategy 2019-2041 sets a vision, five outcome areas, guiding principles and methods for how the goal of a strong community will be achieved.
- The Sunshine Coast Community Strategy Action Plan 2019-2024 outlines the key priorities in order to achieve our five desired outcomes. It also provides a clear approach to regular measuring and reporting our progress towards achieving these outcomes.
Community Strategy Leadership Group Expression of Interest
Council is currently calling for Expressions of Interest for community representatives to be involved in the implementation of the Sunshine Coast Community Strategy 2019-2041.
The group will lead and guide the delivery of the Community Strategy's action plan, and track and report on its progress and impact.
Membership is open to:
- any community representative who lives on the Sunshine Coast
- representatives of government, community groups, organisations, agencies and service providers who have a focus on provision of social and community services
- specialists and academics on social planning and community development on the Sunshine Coast.
Between September 2018 and July 2019, an extensive program of engagement was undertaken by council to ensure that the Community Strategy is shaped by, and reflective of, the diverse voices of our region. Approximately 1600 community members and stakeholders contributed through this engagement, with their voices and ideas creating the Community Strategy’s shared vision for the future of the Sunshine Coast as well as influencing the outcomes, priorities and Action Plan. Community engagement will continue to be one of our key methods of implementing and delivering the Community Strategy.
This video provides a snapshot about what the Community Strategy is about and how it has been developed.
Previous strategies and related council plans
The Sunshine Coast Social Strategy 2015 is superseded by the adoption of the Sunshine Coast Community Strategy 2019-2041. The following documents have been incorporated into the Community Strategy:
- Nambour Activation Plan 2015
- Sunshine Coast Access and Inclusion Plan 2011-2016
- Sunshine Coast Community Events and Celebrations Strategy 2011
- Sunshine Coast Multicultural Action Plan 2017-2020
- Sunshine Coast Positive Ageing Strategy 2011-2016
- Sunshine Coast Community Safety Action Plan 2016-2020
- Sunshine Coast Youth Action Plan 2018-2021.
For more information about the Community Strategy, please contact council.
Braille version can be accessed at the Nambour, Maroochydore and Caloundra Libraries
Accessible text version for the visually impaired using assistive technology
- Chapter 1 - Intro
- Chapter 2 - Contents
- Chapter 3 - Inside cover
- Chapter 4- Acknowledgement of Traditional Owners
- Chapter 5 - Our Vision - Together we thrive
- Chapter 6 - Looking Towards 2041
- Chapter 7 - Our goal - A Strong Community
- Chapter 8 - About the Community Strategy
- Chapter 9 - A broader view of Council
- Chapter 10 - The role of government in supporting strong communities
- Chapter 11 - A brief history of the Sunshine Coast
- Chapter 12- Who we are: a demographic snapshot
- Chapter 13 - Trends and opportunities
- Chapter 14- What our community told us
- Chapter 15- A vision for a future where our communities are thriving
- Chapter 16 - The Community Strategy: Building a strong community together
- Chapter 17 - Outcome 1: Healthy, Active Communities
- Chapter 18 - Outcome 2: Vibrant Communities
- Chapter 19 - Outcome 3: Inclusive Communities
- Chapter 20 - Outcome 4: Connected, Resilient Communities
- Chapter 21 - Outcome 5: Creative, Innovative Communities
- Chapter 22 - Glossary
- Chapter 23 - Reference list
- Chapter 24 - Back cover
- Chapter 25 - Closing announcement