- Last updated:
- 13 Mar 2020
As part of the Sunshine Coast Design Strategy Part A, council has released the Sunshine Coast Design book.
Good design for the Sunshine Coast
Our sub-tropical climate has made the Sunshine Coast a comfortable and attractive place to settle. Long, balmy summers and warm, sunny winters set the scene for a healthy, relaxed lifestyle, with a strong focus on enjoying the outdoors all year round.
As more people are drawn to live here, and our economy grows and our climate changes, we need to protect the things we value about our region today, so they may continue to be available to future generations. Sunshine Coast Design has been developed to inspire and encourage quality place-based design for the Sunshine Coast into the future.
A place-based approach puts place at the centre of the design process, so our buildings, streets and spaces reflect the values and characteristics of the Sunshine Coast, rather than just ‘anywhere’.
Sunshine Coast Design is a resource to help plan and design neighbourhoods, parks, public spaces, streets, buildings and homes on the Sunshine Coast using a set of simple and accessible values and design principles.
Who is it for?
Sunshine Coast Design Strategy is not a mandatory code or a style guide. Sunshine Coast Design is a resource for everyone making decisions about design on the Sunshine Coast.
How Sunshine Coast Design was developed
From September 2018 to February 2019 the community and stakeholders were invited to participate in identifying key values for the Sunshine Coast through a series of focus group workshops, 1 on 1 conversations and an online survey. We asked:
- What are the distinct characteristics of the Sunshine Coast that you value and enjoy?
- How are the characteristics of the Sunshine Coast translated into built and landscape outcomes?
- How do we make sure that these distinct qualities are part of our future as we grow?
Based on what we heard, the draft values and design principles were developed. Initial testing was undertaken with a small group of development and design industry experts, councillors and our leadership team. A selection of existing buildings, streets and places were assessed against the design principles to further evaluate their effectiveness.
See how the Values and Design Principles were informed by the first phase of community and stakeholder engagement in this 5 minute video.
In July and August 2019, the draft values and design principles were tested by asking the community and stakeholders:
- Is what you value about the qualities and features of the Sunshine Coast captured in the values?
- Will using these principles help deliver good design on the Sunshine Coast?
- Have we missed anything?
- How can we all use the four values and nine design principles to help deliver great design for the Sunshine Coast. What other tools could we use to achieve great design outcomes?
Feedback was gathered through a design forum and panel discussion, a series of focus group meetings, community pop up events and an online survey. The information gathered was used to revise the values and design principles and inform the Implementation Plan. The final content was again tested with a small group of development and design industry experts, councillors and leadership team.
The Sunshine Coast Design book is the culmination of this process. It is the collective voice of our region for our region.
4 key values:
- We love our climate.
- We live within and cherish our landscape.
- We treasure our ocean, beaches and waterways.
- We are a community of communities.
To help protect and promote the values, a set of 10 design principles have been developed.
The design principles are:
- Work with the local climate
- Create places that respect and incorporate landscape
- Bring our cultures, arts and heritage to life
- Capture and frame views and create vistas
- Strengthen and extend a network of green corridors
- Be inspired by the natural and built environment
- Create shady streets that put people first
- Create welcoming places that can be enjoyed by everyone
- Design places to be resilient and ready for change
- Create and add value
To help explain the Values and Design Principles you can watch this video.
To find out how to get a copy of the book visit Sunshine Coast Design Book.
Where to from here
As part of the Sunshine Coast Design Strategy, the book was endorsed unanimously at the November 2019 Council Ordinary Meeting. More tools to support the Sunshine Coast Design Strategy will be developed in the future.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.