Everybody is at risk of getting coronavirus (COVID-19). For most people, they will only develop mild illness and recover easily. Others may develop severe sickness that affects the lungs.
People with weaker immune systems are more likely to get seriously ill. This puts Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander elders and people with chronic health conditions such as asthma, diabetes and heart disease at greater risk.
As the lead agency during the pandemic, Queensland Health has information which is current and easy to understand including fact sheets on Sorry Business, Sad News and travel restrictions to remote communities. It helps you understand how you can protect yourself, your family and visitors to your house and your community. Visit Queensland Health - first nations information.
For other practical help and support contact the following agencies:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Family Wellbeing Services
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander (ATSI) Health Unit
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Service QLD 1800 012 255
- Strong Spirit, Safe Mob
- Gavaa Dhuwi (Proud Spirit) Australia
- Queensland Indigenous Family Violence Service 1800 88 77 00.