Leave comments or report a bug

Simply leave your comments below. If the feedback is about a bug, please provide the steps you took so we can replicate.

Upload files

You can use CTR+V to paste a screenshot from your clipboard directly into the textarea above. Otherwise you can upload a file from your computer below.

Select a theme

These themes change the colour scheme and fonts of this site to make it easier to read.

If there are ways that we can make the site more accessible to you, please contact us.

back to top

Nambour special entertainment precinct (SEP) is only the second precinct of its kind in Queensland.  The Nambour SEP seeks to work with community and business groups towards the ongoing activation of Nambour to attract public and private investment.

Under the Sunshine Coast Planning Scheme 2014, the Nambour SEP can accommodate a range of business uses and entertainment activities. These include restaurants, bars, theatres and nightclubs, that may include live or amplified music.

The Nambour SEP provides for “lower impact” entertainment uses like restaurants and small bars across centre zones and key tourist areas to encourage vibrancy and support the night time economy.

A helping hand for Nambour businesses

As part of the overarching revitalisation of Nambour, special concessions apply to businesses and development applications within the precinct. These include:

Events and operating a business on public land

Fees relating to events or operating a business on public land falling within the Nambour Special Entertainment Precinct may be reduced or waived. Find out more about permits and licenses.

50% off Development applications

Council has made it easier and more cost effective for theatres, bars, nightclubs or hotel traders to establish in the Nambour Special Entertainment Precinct, discounting development application fees by 50% to incentivise new business start-ups.

Infill incentive
Development that complies with the eligibility criteria will qualify for a 50% reduction in the levied Council Infrastructure Charge. Additionally, applicants may apply for a staged payment arrangement with a 25% initial payment and the balance paid in instalments.

Read our infill development incentives policy fact sheet (PDF, 2.6MB) for more clarification and application details.

Nambour special entertainment precinct

The Nambour SEP seeks to help facilitate music-based entertainment industry on the Sunshine Coast. It allows venues greater certainty about where they can operate and the relevant noise levels. It also protects residential development from unreasonable levels of amplified music noise. See the map of the precinct area.

Operation of an amplified music venue within a SEP

Entertainment venues in the Nambour SEP are exempt from the amplified music noise requirements of the Queensland Government’s liquor licensing laws.

Responsibility for regulating amplified music noise from venues in the SEP has been transferred from the State Liquor Licensing Division to council.

Amplified music noise levels in the precinct are regulated by council’s Local Law 1 (Administration) 2011 which requires amplified music venues in the Nambour SEP to apply for local law approval from council.

An approval issued under the local law means that council will be responsible for:

  • conditioning the amplified noise from the premises
  • conducting monitoring
  • responding to complaints.

A yearly license fee applies to this approval.

A local law approval is not required for the operation of a premises if it does not emit amplified music above Lceq 65db. This is measured at any point 1 metre external to the premises.

There are no local law approval requirements for entertainment venues outside of the SEP.

To discuss the local law or the application process please contact council.

You may also refer to Schedule 10A of the Sunshine Coast Regional Council Subordinate Local Law No. 1 (Administration) 2016 (PDF, 1013KB) for details of what to include in an application.

Do I need planning and building approvals for my venue?

Before approval under the local law can be issued, you may need approval for your proposed development.

Under the Sunshine Coast Planning Scheme 2014, the Nambour SEP can accommodate a range of business uses and entertainment activities. These include restaurants, bars, theatres and nightclubs, that may include live or amplified music. These types of uses are generally considered consistent with the planning scheme (subject to compliance with relevant Codes) and will usually require a planning application to council. Some development may be ‘accepted development’ and may not require a planning application.

If you are planning on renovating a space for your venue or business, you may also need approval for building and plumbing work. A private certifier will be able to help you with this.

New and redeveloped residential uses and entertainment venues in and around the SEP need to be designed and operated to achieve specified noise criteria and attenuation requirements. For example, air locks, double glazing and construction of walls.

To learn more about what planning and building approvals you may need, council offers a range of free and paid development advice services.

By seeking advice in the early stages of a proposal, you can ensure you address all identified development issues. This can improve the quality of your application. It can also streamline assessment time frames and reduce costs.

We recommend you contact development services to confirm which service best fits your proposal.