Buying and renting a home

Find out about buying and renting a home, what are your options and rights.

Buying and renting a home

You can visit the real estate office to ask for a list of properties for rent in the area. Property owners and real estate agents also advertise in the local newspapers and online.

To start looking online try and Domain.

If you see a property you like you will need to arrange a time to have a look at the property. The real estate agents or property owners will be there to let you in and show you around. There may be other people having a look around as well as you.

For information about buying and owning a home visit Queensland Government.


Check that the property is convenient for transport and parking and if the rent includes any bills, such as electricity and water.

If you like the property, ask for an application form. The application form is how the property owner can find out about you to see if they think you will be suitable for their property.

On the application form you will have to answer questions about yourself. For example:

  • where you have lived before
  • how much rent you paid
  • your employment
  • how much you earn.

You will also need to provide two referees from someone who can guarantee you would be a good tenant.

Shared accommodation

Depending on your circumstances, you might find it easier to find share accommodation. People who rent or own houses sometimes rent out a single room. Rooms to rent are advertised on websites such as Flatmate Finders and Flatmates.

Rental agreements

If you rent a house, unit, room, caravan or houseboat in Queensland there are rules that you must follow.

A lease (agreement to rent) is a legal document. Don’t sign it until you have looked at the property and fully understand the document. The lease will include a period of time where you guarantee that you will live there and pay the rent. This could be anywhere between three months and one year.

Payment of a bond, equal to one month’s rent, plus one month’s rent in advance, is usual practice when renting. The bond is normally returned when tenants vacate, minus any costs for repairs or cleaning if required.

Know your legal rights

Understand your rights and responsibilities when renting a home. If you have any problems contact the agent or owner in the first.  If the problem cannot be resolved you can contact the following organisations for support.

Rental support

If you receive a Centrelink payment you may be able to apply for help with renting, bond loans and rental grants through the Department of Communities, Housing and Digital Economy.

Sunshine Coast Council acknowledges the Sunshine Coast Country, home of the Kabi Kabi peoples and the Jinibara peoples, the Traditional Custodians, whose lands and waters we all now share.
We commit to working in partnership with the Traditional Custodians and the broader First Nations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) community to support self-determination through economic and community development.
Site help & accessibility
Sign-up for our newsletter
Follow us
© Sunshine Coast Regional Council 2008 - 2023