Managing how people attend your event is critical with transport planning.
Travel is one of the largest contributors to greenhouse gas emissions for events. Choose a venue or site that has sustainable transport options. This includes car sharing, public transport, cycling or walking.
The benefits of sustainable transport options are to:
- reduce traffic congestion and parking issues
- reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- promote the event as active, healthy, clean and green.
Goal: 10% of attendees used sustainable travel.
- Find out what public and private transport is available
- Offer incentives such as secure bike parking (bike racks)
- Reduce parking issues by encouraging attendees to carpool, cycle, walk or take public transport
Engage and communicate
- Provide information early on how to attend the event using sustainable transport options.
- Encourage green travellers to connect for ride-sharing and group transit trips. Use an event hashtag, such as #goingmyway or #greenriders.
- Percentage of attendees who arrived by a sustainable transport method.
Take the challenge
Goal: 100% of attendees used sustainable travel.
- Develop a transport plan that offers active and green travel
- Decide on the infrastructure required to offer sustainable transport
- Offer incentives to people who use public transport, carpool or active transportation. This can include priority parking or camping and VIP tickets. You can also use disincentives for single passenger vehicles, such as limited parking
- For large events, contact your local public transport provider
- See if they can offer a transit pass for the event on a regular service.
Engage and communicate
- Promote sustainable transport options on your website and other event material
- Advertise incentives to encourage active and green travel.
- Carbon offset event travel.
Tips for success
- Use the active and sustainable travel checklist or consider a more comprehensive transport plan
- Consider providing:
- maps showing cycling and walking paths
- public transport timetables
- secure bike parking and end of trip facilities
- valet parking
- park'n'ride hubs with a shuttle bus
- electric vehicle charging point
- web platform for organising car sharing
- Set up a green travel lounge (next to taxi stands), where people can meet, greet and arrange shared trips or walking groups
- Include transit, walking and biking guides into the event's mobile app
- Use the National Carbon Offset Standard for Events to determine carbon offsets.