Black Swan Park Cotton Tree
Image
Name origins directory
  • Last updated:
  • 15 Oct 2019

Use this directory to find out how the name of a park, place or community infrastructure came about.

Note: the inclusion of a park name in this directory does not imply official endorsement of the name by Sunshine Coast Council or any other authority.

If you have any information regarding the name of a park, place or community infrastructure that is not captured in this directory, please email the Community Connections Team grants@sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au.

Hold command (Mac) or control key (Windows) to select multiple categories. To clear selection, use the same commands and click the item/s again.
Hold command (Mac) or control key (Windows) to select multiple categories. To clear selection, use the same commands and click the item/s again.

Displaying 166 results

  • Bill Davison Bridge Wegner Road, North Arm

    Bill Davison was a well-recognised part of the North Arm community on the Sunshine Coast. Bill was a member of many organisation within the community including North Arm School of Arts Committee, Yandina-North Arm, Cane Growers Association, North Arm Rural Fire Brigade and North Arm State School P & C Committee.

  • Bill Venardos Park Omrah Avenue, Caloundra

    Named after William Emmaniol Venardos. Bill Venardos was a Maroochy Shire Councillor (1961-76) and the Deputy-Chairman (1967-70) of the Maroochy Shire Council. In February 1976 Venardos moved to Caloundra and stood unsuccessfully that year for election to the Landsborough Shire Council. He was elected to the Landsborough Shire Council in 1979 and represented Division 5 on the Landsborough Shire Council from 31.03.1979 to 21.04.1986 and remained a Councillor until his death in Caloundra on 22. 04.1986. Venardos served at different times as Chairman of the Tourism and the Health and Building committees. In September 1983 he received a twenty-year service award from the Local Government Association of Queensland. Venardos Park was located in Omrah Ave, Caloundra. Lot 2 RP69517 and Lots 1 and 22/27 RP159516. Construction commenced on the new Caloundra City Council Administration block on Venardos Park during early 1994. Officially opened new Council Administration building in September 1995 and operational from 25 July 1995. Bill Venardos died on 22 April 1986 at Caloundra. A former Maroochy Shire Chairman, Eddie De Vere, said, ‘I always listened to Bill because he always had the ear of the people and he never hesitated to express his views. He was a most courageous man and a very colourful identity’. Venardos’ funeral was conducted at St Andrew’s Anglican Church, Caloundra, with Greek Orthodox rites, and he was buried in the local cemetery. A park in Caloundra and a rugby league football trophy have been named in his honour.- Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 18, (MUP), 2012 Date named: 1 February 1976

  • Black Swan Park Cotton Tree Parade, Maroochydore

    Black Swan Park named after the Aboriginal word for red-bill, the park is located beside the Cotton Tree Boatshed Restaurant and behind the Cotton Tree Aquatic Centre. The significance of Black Swan Park has been formally recognised with the erection of heritage signs. The heritage signs provide information on the history of the area.

  • Bobbie Sattler Bushland Reserve Pierce Avenue, Little Mountain

    In 1946, Gus and Bobbie Sattler and their young family settled at a Meridan Plains property in an area now known as Sattler Rd. Living conditions were quite primitive due to isolation, insufficient water, poor soil and rocky terrain. In the late 1940s the Sattlers' mail was delivered twice a week to their homestead from Landsborough Railway Station. Gus Sattler was born on June 21, 1906. At the age of nine he travelled by bullock wagon to Queensland. He caught his first swarm of bees at an early age. He cut many swarms of bees out of trees and kept them in empty petrol cases. In those days petrol came in large tins each holding four imperial gallons. These cases and tins provided pioneer families with walls for houses and, when flattened out, tin roofs. Gus and Bobbie Sattler started a honey business known as Sunshine Apiaries and were known for the delicious honey they produced. Gus became known as the "honey man". The stumps for their house went in on Armistice Day, 1946. Some of the material came from an Air Force hut near Toorbul Point. The weatherboards were cut on the farm from swamp mahogany; a timber discarded by many mills but valuable to the Sattler family. During Gus's lifetime he saw the wallum plains and tea tree forests between Noosa and Bribie gradually diminish due to urban and pastoral development. Gus became a great beekeeper respected for his knowledge of the Australian bush and its flora and fauna. Stella "Bobbie" Sattler was a much loved member of the Caloundra community. She became a member of Caloundra Wild Life Preservation Society and joined other environmentalists such as Isabel Jordan, Stan Tutt and Kathleen McArthur as they challenged development trying to save the wallum country and the wildflowers that grew in abundance. Bobbie ran the Sunshine Apiaries shop on their property. Initially the Sattlers got two pence a pound for their honey. Gus and Bobbie were the first to market honey by identifying the tree species the honey came from. Bobbie Sattler inherited her mother's 70-year-old sulphur-crested cockatoo Cockie. The bird was well known and knew many words. His fate was nearly sealed one New Year's Eve when the family heard Cockie yelling out. They found a large carpet snake in his cage. It was obvious the snake and the cockatoo had been fighting as his feathers lay in the cage. After that Cockie would yell out "Snake, Gus", which became a source of amusement for honey customers. The Sattlers drew three parcels of land when they moved to Meridan Plains. Fifty-eight years later Bobbie Sattler dedicated most of her block of nearly 40 hectares off Pierce Ave, Little Mountain as a nature reserve. This is now the Bobbie Sattler Bushland Reserve, which is a beautiful diverse area of coastal forest and wallum country. Bobbie Sattler died on October 29, 2006 and is buried near her husband, who died in 1992, at Mooloolah Cemetery.

  • Briggs Park Jubilee Drive

    Named after Local farmer Tommy Briggs who lived in Palmwoods. The site of Sundale’s ‘Palmwoods Garden Village’ was once the home and farm of the prominent Briggs family; brothers Tommy and Edgar and their sister Nell. The family donated the land which is now Briggs Park.

  • Bukh Family Park Alexandra Parade, Alexandra Headland

    Named in 1986 in honour of the Buhk Family, specifically William Frederick Karl Buhk or "Old Bill" who was one of the 24 founding members of the Alexandra Headland Surf Lifesaving Club. Also his son Bill who became a life member after years of service. Date named: 1 January 1986

  • C. H. Ball Lookout Eumundi Range Road, Eumundi

    C. H. Ball was an early pioneer who selected land in the Eumundi area in the 1870s.

  • Cahills Scrub Bushland Reserve London and Stony Creeks, Peachester

    The 18 hectare section of rainforest at Peachester has been named Cahill's Scrub Bushland Reserve in honour of the pioneering Cahill family, Irish settlers whose family involvement with Peachester dates back to 1884. Caloundra City Council agreed on the name for what had been called the Durundur Conservation Area in response to a proposal from local resident Duncan McDonald Jr whose family also has a long history in the area. The reserve is located at the confluence of London and Stony Creeks. Date named: 6 December 2007

  • Canavan Gracie Recreational Park Bellvista Estate, Caloundra West

    Named after Doctor June Canavan and her long time friend and Mooloolaba Surf Club Patrol Captain Keith Gracie, who, in August 2009, died in a plane crash in New Guinea. Keith was accompanying Dr Canavan on a fund raising trip to raise $50,000 for the School of St Jude in Tanzania by trekking the Kokoda Track. Date named: 20 September 2012

  • Cannon Park

    Mooloolaba's Cannon Park is named after Dudley and Beryl Cannon. The Cannon family first arrived on the Sunshine Coast in the 1880s. Dudley's grandfather, William (Jack) Cannon owned Seaspray Boarding House in Maroochydore in the 1930s. He owned and ran the boarding house for 13 years. William Cannon's son, Richard and his wife Caroline Beatrice Maud Mary Lander owned Wickham Boarding House in Caloundra from 1920 until 1926. Dudley lived in Caloundra with his parents, however when his mother Caroline died, he left Caloundra and went to live with his Uncle Alma and Aunty Elizabeth (nee Cannon) Tucker, near where Tuckers Creek Mooloolaba is today. Beryl and Dudley had five children including Douglas "Dougie" Cannon (who lived in Mooloolaba all his life until passing in 2006), John Richard (Jake) Cannon, Kevin Cannon, Cheryl Cannon and Tony (Tex) Cannon. Kevin Cannon is fifth generation still living on the Coast, his daughter Donna and her sons still live here too. The Cannon family have been fishing from the Coast beaches for 100 years, mostly from Mooloolaba and more recently Mudjimba beaches. Dudley Cannon, became a deep sea fisherman and a well-known Mooloolaba identity. The family still hold the licence to catch mullet today on Mooloolaba Beach but due to the amount of people on the beaches, restrictions to when they can fish and the change in the mullet run, they rarely venture there these days. Dudley and Beryl's son, Kevin Cannon, 69, is known as the 'Mullet Man' and can still be found staring at the sea and watching for the mullet during the season. He recalls days in the 1960s when him and his brother Jake would take their old beaten up car towing their small fishing dingy at 6am to fish for Mullet. This was along the old 'Nicklin Track' before it was a road. Jake would always say "That's not enough...Let's head up Noosa Way'. They'd then drive to Noosa, have a sleep and fish until midnight. In the late 1960s Kevin and Jake purchased a prawn trawler named Margaret Rose. Dudley married Beryl (nee Henricks) on January 16, 1942 at the Maroochydore Baptist Church. Beryl wore a frock of white Shan tung silk and matching accessories and held a bouquet of frangipani and maidenhair fern. She was given away by her father, George Henricks and attended by her sister, Dulcie Henricks. The reception was held at Beryl's parent's home in George St, Maroochydore and the newlyweds decided to settle close by in Mooloolaba. Dudley and Beryl's granddaughter Donna Cannon recalls her grandfather telling her a tale of him watching a Prince swim in Mooloolaba Beach and making sure he wouldn't drown. Donna thought it was just an interesting tale, however she recently discovered an article from December 1934 in the Nambour Chronicle about the occasion. As it turns out, Dudley was quite the Surf Life Saving hero. Another article from Nambour Chronicle in January 20134 documents a Mooloolaba rescue performed by Dudley and his good friend Bill Curruthers during choppy seas and a strong current.