- Last updated:
- 12 Jun 2020
Use this directory to find out how the name of a park, place or community infrastructure came about.
Note: the inclusion of a park name in this directory does not imply official endorsement of the name by Sunshine Coast Council or any other authority.
If you have any information regarding the name of a park, place or community infrastructure that is not captured in this directory, please email the Community Connections Team firstname.lastname@example.org.
Displaying 167 results
2nd / 14th Australian Infantry Battalion Park Tinarra Close, Maroochy River
The Battalion formed in Victoria in April 1940 and later joined by many Queenslanders camped on this site 11 May 1942 to 5 August 1942. The Battalion trained over a wide area from Blackall Ranges to the coast and made many friends in the District between 16 August 1942 and 15 January 1943. The Battalion fought on the Kokoda Track and at Gona assisting to drive the Japanese out of Papua. 166 members of the Battalion gave their lives in that campaign.
37/52nd Battalion Park Nirvana Crescent, Buderim
The park commemorates those who served with the 37/52 Australian Infantry Battalion during World War Two. The 37th/52nd Battalion was an infantry battalion of the Australian Army. Formed in 1930 from two previously existing Militia battalions, the battalion remained on the Australian order of battle until 1937. During World War Two it was revived in 1942 and subsequently saw active service with the 4th Brigade against the Japanese in the Huon Peninsula and New Britain campaigns. It was disbanded after the war in 1946.
Andrea Ahern Park Mooya Street, Battery Hill
Named after the wife of ex-Queensland Premier, Mike Ahern who came from Conondale.
Apex Park Lamerough Parade, Golden Beach
Named after the Caloundra Apex Club which undertook the creation of this public park at Golden Beach in 1975. Landsborough Shire Council contributed towards the project. A time capsule was placed in Apex Park by Caloundra Apex members in 1981 under the Apex Park sign near the Lamerough Creek Bridge.
Arthur Parkyn Park Mooloolaba Esplanade (south side of the surf club), Mooloolaba
Arthur Bray Parkyn grew up in the Mooloolaba area and attended Mooloolaba State school as a student then became a teacher and finally principle of the school. He joined the Mooloolaba Surf Life Saving Club in 1926 and continued the association until his death. Arthur was granted life membership in surf lifesaving at all levels, Club, Branch, State, and Australia. He also Represented Australia in competition. Arthur is credited with introducing surf lifesaving to the United States in the 1950s. He was honoured with life membership of the USA Lifesaving Association. He was an early real estate agent in Mooloolaba, buying and selling land and was a member of the Mooloolaba Chamber of Commerce. Date named: 12 November 2010
Arthur Roberts Park Murray-Grey Drive, Kureelpa
Named after Private Robert A Roberts, grandson of prominent pioneers William and Emma Perrin. Arthur was a sugar pioneer who lost his life serving in the field as an Ambulance Corp in France during World War 1.
Ayliffe Park The Esplanade, Golden Beach
This park is named after Mr and Mrs Ayliffe who assisted with the construction of the children’s playground at Golden Beach.
Ballinger Beach Park Buderim Street, Currimundi
John Ballinger selected land south of Lake Currimundi and was the first permanent resident in the area that is now known as Caloundra. Ballinger raised sheep on his selection and a hill where the sheep used to sleep was named Battery Hill. This hill was fortified against an expected Russian invasion in mid 1880s.
Ben Bennett Botanical Park Queen Street, Caloundra
Originally called the Botanical Gardens, the five hectare site was brought to the attention of the Landsborough Shire Council by then Councillor Ben Bennett, who realised the need to preserve such a refuge in a fast developing neighbourhood. The name of the Botanical Gardens was later changed to Ben Bennett Park, in Councillor Bennett’s honour. Ben served on the Landsborough Shire Council from 1964 to 1967.
Bevan Henzell Park Pumicestone Esplanade, Golden Beach
Named after Bevan Henzell who started developing Pelican Waters. His father, Roy Henzell first purchased the land in 1946.