- Last updated:
- 16 Mar 2017
Council's bushfire management plans help protect and maintain ecosystems in the Sunshine Coast's 5,500 hectares of bushland reserves.
Council undertakes a number of activities to reduce the risk of bushfires including:
- making and maintaining a network of fire trails across the region for emergency vehicle access in the event of bushfires
- assessing the bushfire risk from council reserves to nearby properties
- some burning to reduce fuel loads and maintain the nature found in the reserve
- mapping of planned and unplanned fires across the reserve network
- supporting the Queensland Fire and Rescue Service as required in wildfire events.
Fire management plans
Council prepares fire management plans for larger council reserves.
- Annie Hehir Road Environmental Reserve, Peachester
- Boyle Road Bushland Conservation Reserve, Belli Park
- Ben Bennet Bushland Park
- Buderim Forest Bushland Conservation Reserve Core, Buderim
- Karnu Drive Environmental Reserve, Yandina
- Kirbys Road Environmental Reserve, Obi Obi
- London Creek Environmental Reserve, Peachester
- Mount Mellum Nature Refuge, Mount Mellum
- Mountain Creek Conservation Area, Mountain Creek
- Maroochy Bushland Botanic Gardens and Tall Gums Environmental Reserve, Tanawha