- Last updated:
- 17 Apr 2019
Council's bushfire management plans help protect and maintain ecosystems in the Sunshine Coast's 6,758 hectares of bushland reserves, and our Bushland Reserve Network Fire Management Guidelines have been developed to identify the range of bushfire management issues relevant to council and the actions required to address them.
We currently undertake a number of activities to reduce the risk of bushfires including:
- making and maintaining a network of fire trails across the region for emergency vehicle access in the event of bushfires
- assessing the bushfire risk from council reserves to nearby properties
- some burning to reduce fuel loads and maintain the nature found in the reserve
- mapping of planned and unplanned fires across the reserve network, and
- supporting the Queensland Fire and Emergency Service as required in wildfire events.
Fire management plans
Council prepares fire management plans for larger council reserves.
- Annie Hehir Road Environmental Reserve, Peachester
- Boyle Road Bushland Conservation Reserve, Belli Park
- Ben Bennet Bushland Park
- Buderim Forest Bushland Conservation Reserve Core, Buderim
- Karnu Drive Environmental Reserve, Yandina
- Kirbys Road Environmental Reserve, Obi Obi
- London Creek Environmental Reserve, Peachester
- Mount Mellum Nature Refuge, Mount Mellum
- Mountain Creek Conservation Area, Mountain Creek
- Maroochy Bushland Botanic Gardens and Tall Gums Environmental Reserve, Tanawha