- Last updated:
- 15 Jun 2021
Council is planning for the future so the lifestyle and environment we all enjoy can be maintained as we grow.
Around 200,000 more people will move to the Sunshine Coast in the next 20 years. To maintain our lifestyle and amenity, we will need more sustainable transport options. This will enable us to efficiently connect people to jobs, recreation, tourism, services and education.
Based on experience, much of the growth is expected to occur in the coastal corridor between Maroochydore and Caloundra. This is in keeping with state and local planning policies.
A mass transit system – whether it be based on bus or rail – can help manage the effects of growth. It can provide an alternative, sustainable mode of travel that is frequent, reliable, convenient and comfortable. Importantly, it can also reduce our dependence on private car travel.
Mass transit is one of many transport solutions that our region will need in the future. It will be part of a wider integrated transport network connecting local bus, heavy rail and active transport infrastructure.
Mass transit is a smart way to maintain a sustainable future for the Sunshine Coast. It will support jobs, tourism and a stronger economy. It will also create better connections between key destinations, help reduce growth in traffic congestion, promote more vibrant neighbourhoods and support greater housing choice.
Mass transit fast facts
- Several options are being considered for the mass transit solution.
- Mass transit can move more people with less vehicles.
- Mass transit will support targeted redevelopment opportunities compatible with our existing character. These may be close to key centres or transit stations.
- Mass transit will link to major centres and other travel modes.
- The Sunshine Coast coastal corridor will grow with or without mass transit based on current trends.
- As we grow, adding more cars to the road in this corridor will worsen congestion.
- A mass transit system can provide a viable and efficient alternative to private vehicle travel for local trips.
- Mass transit will support our $2.7 billion tourism industry. It will enable visitors to efficiently and affordably connect our key centres and our events, accommodation and lifestyle hubs.
- The Options Analysis will confirm the problems and opportunities and identify a shortlist of preferred options.
- The Detailed Business Case will confirm the best solution for the local area and whether the project proceeds or not.
- The delivery of mass transit will require the Queensland Government to fund the majority of the capital and all of the operating costs.
- The Australian Government may provide significant capital funding. While only a small proportion of capital could be provided by Council.
Our region is growing. We need to protect our enviable lifestyle as it grows. A high-quality, integrated mass transit system is an essential part of our plan to be Australia’s most sustainable region: healthy, smart, creative by:
- reducing our high reliance on cars
- providing an alternative travel option to beat growing road congestion
- better connecting our key centres and attractions
- providing more inclusive and accessible transport
- supporting the 74% of Sunshine Coast trips that are local (under 10km)
- being more environmentally friendly and reducing carbon emissions
- moving more people with less vehicles
- supporting our $2.7 billion tourism industry
- limiting the spread of development into our natural areas
- supporting job creation close to where people live
- enabling more liveable, coastal neighbourhoods
- creating more walkable neighbourhoods.