- Last updated:
- 22 Jun 2022
Cat owners must register their pets each year and follow local law regulations. Find out more on the registering and licensing page.
Your cat = your responsibility.
Responsible cat ownership means
- Register your cat each year.
- Council also offers lifetime registration for desexed and microchipped cats.
- Keep your cat contained at all times - cats are not allowed to roam off your property. You may need to adjust your fence or build a cat enclosure if you want to exercise your cat outside.
- Desex your cat - although not compulsory, this will help to reduce unwanted litters. Behavioural problems in cats can also lead to roaming issues.
- Microchip your cat - if born after 1 July 2009 and before it reaches 12 weeks of age or ownership changes.
- Responsible cat ownership fact sheet (DOCX, 352KB)
- Responsible pet ownership (PDF, 375KB)
- Responsible pet ownership starter booklet (PDF, 1MB)
- Responsible pet ownership cat booklet (PDF, 853KB)
- Desexing pets (PDF, 129KB)
- Microchipping (DOCX, 225KB)