- Last updated:
- 15 May 2020
Council is undertaking an $18 million redevelopment of the Brisbane Road Car Park in Mooloolaba.
The new eight-storey multi-deck car park will increase public parking in Mooloolaba from 176 spaces to over 700 car parking spaces, with a further 54 motorcycle spaces and 50 bicycle spaces.
In May 2019, council entered into a contract with Evans Built Pty Ltd., a locally owned and operated business, to design and construct the multi-deck car park on the parcel of land facing Smith Street and First Avenue.
The multi-deck car park is expected to be completed by December 2020 (weather and site conditions permitting)
More parking in Mooloolaba has been identified as a high priority to benefit residents, visitors and businesses.
The natural assets and vibrant shops, cafes and restaurants that continue to attract people to Mooloolaba will be enhanced by increased accessibility to the heart of Mooloolaba.
In addition to increased parking, the ground floor includes space for ground floor commercial tenancies to further support the economic development of Mooloolaba.
The mixed-use tenancies facing First Avenue will create an activated street frontage, enhancing and complementing the existing laneway community.
About the design
The design of the new multi-deck car park draws inspiration from the natural environment and incorporates local references of the Mooloolaba area.
The play of light and shadow on the building as well as subtle colour changes echo the flow and movement of water in the nearby rivers and ocean. Vertical elements in the surrounding screen hint at mooring posts for boats. Water references form a key element of the overall design connecting the built structure to Mooloolaba’s sense of place and coastal character.
Wayfinding signage in and around the car park will help residents and visitors to navigate the area. Well-lit spaces and clear sight lines throughout the car park aim to increase safety and create an active space.
An extensive community engagement process was undertaken during the development of the Placemaking Mooloolaba Master Plan which was adopted by council in December 2015.
Improving car parking in Mooloolaba was one of the strongest and most consistent themes and the new car park helps meet that need.
The Brisbane Road Car Park project team has worked closely with Mooloolaba businesses adjacent to the car park area in May and September 2019. Council is committed to keeping traders informed throughout the project.
Council’s economic development team will conduct a series of workshops throughout the construction period to help support businesses during the construction period. Council has prepared a Business Continuity Guide to assist businesses to prepare and plan for construction projects such as this one.
Council will continue to keep the community informed throughout the project via newsletters, construction notifications, online updates, liaison with local business and community organisations, and face to face meetings with adjacent businesses
Register to receive construction updates
Council’s primary method of communicating construction information will be via email updates. If you wish to receive construction updates please email your name, business name (if applicable), email address and phone number to firstname.lastname@example.org
Changes to traffic conditions and car parking during construction
Council provides a range of free on-street and off-street parking throughout Mooloolaba including:
Temporary Mooloolaba Beach car park – 122 parking spaces
- Beach Terrace car park – 111 parking spaces
- Club Lane car park – 19 parking spaces and 8 Surf Life Saving only parking spaces
- The Wharf car park – 427 parking spaces
- Brisbane Road car park (fronting Brisbane Rd) – 93 parking spaces
- Incana Court car park – 110 parking spaces. Construction personnel will be encouraged to park in the Incana Court car park, ensuring the maximum number of parking bays remain available in the heart of Mooloolaba.
On-street parking is also available at various locations throughout Mooloolaba.
For more details about parking in Mooloolaba, download the Mooloolaba Parking Area Map
Changes to traffic conditions
Council will make every effort to minimise impacts to road users and the local community during construction however this is a major construction project and some inconvenience is to be expected.
- At various times throughout the project, the public may experience:
- Changes to traffic conditions – reduced speed limits, temporary lane closures, traffic and pedestrian realignments and stop-go traffic control
- Increased heavy vehicle movements
- Construction noise
- Signage and road barriers in place to help redirect motorists and pedestrians
Construction will take place between 6.30am to 6.30pm Monday to Saturday. Works outside these hours may be necessary at times to assist with the delivery of plant, equipment and materials. This will help council complete the project as quickly as possible. Works will continue throughout school holiday periods but exclude public holidays.
To minimise construction disruption to residents, visitors and local businesses over the Christmas and New Year period, noisy works will cease between Friday, December 13 and Tuesday, January 28 2020
- Car park reconfiguration. 8 – 18 October 2019:Prior to constructing the new multi-deck car park facing Smith Street, reconfiguration works have been completed to the portion of the car park fronting Brisbane Road and First Avenue. This reconfiguration has delivered 93 parking spaces and four motorcycle parking spaces which will remain available for public use throughout the construction period.
- October 2019 – December 2020 New multi-deck car park (weather and site conditions permitting)
- 28 October 2019 to 13 December 2019: Council will establish the car park as a construction site and office. This includes removing the existing car park surface, vegetation and construction of footings for the new car park.
- 28 January 2020 to mid-September 2020: Works will start on the eight-level building structure.
- Late September to early December 2020: Decorative building elements, landscaping and fitout.
*Timeframes may change subject to weather, site conditions, council’s budget process and other funding.
Project news and updates
Keep up to date on the project as it progresses.
- Construction update - Feb 2020
- Brisbane Road Car Park - Community Update (23 January 2020)
- Brisbane Road Car Park - Community Update (22 October 2019)
- Brisbane Road Car Park - Car Park Reconfiguration (23 September 2019)