- Last updated:
- 17 May 2021
Council opened the new ParknGo Mooloolaba Central eight-storey car park Wednesday 23 December 2020.
With 700 parking spaces, 13 parking spaces for People with Disability (PWD), 54 motorcycle spaces and 50 bicycle spaces the car park will make it easier for the people driving to Mooloolaba to park close to the beach, foreshore, shops, cafes and restaurants.
The multi-deck car park is expected to be completed in early 2021 (weather and site conditions permitting).
For more information about parking visit the ParknGo website.
In May 2019, council entered into a contract with Evans Built Pty Ltd., a locally owned and operated business, to design and construct the multi-deck car park on the parcel of land facing Smith Street and First Avenue.
More parking in Mooloolaba has been identified as a high priority to benefit residents, visitors and businesses.
The natural assets and vibrant shops, cafes and restaurants that continue to attract people to Mooloolaba will be enhanced by increased accessibility to the heart of Mooloolaba.
In addition to increased parking, the ground floor includes space for ground floor commercial tenancies to further support the economic development of Mooloolaba.
The mixed-use tenancies facing First Avenue will create an activated street frontage, enhancing and complementing the existing laneway community.
About the design
The design of the new multi-deck car park draws inspiration from the natural environment and incorporates local references of the Mooloolaba area.
The play of light and shadow on the building as well as subtle colour changes echo the flow and movement of water in the nearby rivers and ocean. Vertical elements in the surrounding screen hint at mooring posts for boats. Water references form a key element of the overall design connecting the built structure to Mooloolaba’s sense of place and coastal character.
Wayfinding signage in and around the car park will help residents and visitors to navigate the area. Well-lit spaces and clear sight lines throughout the car park aim to increase safety and create an active space.
An extensive community engagement process was undertaken during the development of the Placemaking Mooloolaba Master Plan which was adopted by council in December 2015.
Improving car parking in Mooloolaba was one of the strongest and most consistent themes and the new car park helps meet that need.
Most recently, the project team conducted a series of community engagement meetings with residents and businesses of Mooloolaba.
Council will continue to keep the community informed throughout the project via newsletters, construction notifications, online updates, liaison with local business and community organisations, and face to face meetings with adjacent businesses
Register to receive construction updates
To receive regular project updates throughout the construction period, please register by emailing your contact details to firstname.lastname@example.org
Changes to traffic conditions and car parking during construction
Council provides a range of free on-street and off-street parking throughout Mooloolaba including:
Temporary Mooloolaba Beach car park – reduced parking available
- Beach Terrace car park – 96 parking spaces
- Club Lane car park – 19 parking spaces and 8 Surf Life Saving only parking spaces
- The Wharf car park – 427 parking spaces
- Incana Court car park – 110 parking spaces. Construction personnel will be encouraged to park in the Incana Court car park, ensuring the maximum number of parking bays remain available in the heart of Mooloolaba.
On-street parking is also available at various locations throughout Mooloolaba.
For more details about parking in Mooloolaba, download the Mooloolaba Parking Area Map
Changes to traffic conditions
Council will make every effort to minimise impacts to road users and the local community during construction however this is a major construction project and some inconvenience is to be expected.
- At various times throughout the project, the public may experience:
- Changes to traffic conditions – reduced speed limits, temporary lane closures, traffic and pedestrian realignments and stop-go traffic control
- Increased heavy vehicle movements
- Construction noise
- Signage and road barriers in place to help redirect motorists and pedestrians
Construction will take place between 6.30am to 6.30pm Monday to Saturday. Works outside these hours may be necessary at times to assist with the delivery of plant, equipment and materials. This will help council complete the project as quickly as possible. Works will continue throughout school holiday periods but exclude public holidays.
- Car park reconfiguration. 8 – 18 October 2019:Prior to constructing the new multi-deck car park facing Smith Street, reconfiguration works have been completed to the portion of the car park fronting Brisbane Road and First Avenue. This reconfiguration has delivered 93 parking spaces and four motorcycle parking spaces which will remain available for public use throughout the construction period.
- October 2019 – December 2020 New multi-deck car park (weather and site conditions permitting)
- 28 October 2019 to 13 December 2019: Council will establish the car park as a construction site and office. This includes removing the existing car park surface, vegetation and construction of footings for the new car park.
- 28 January 2020 to mid-September 2020: Works will start on the eight-level building structure.
- Late September to early 2021: Decorative building elements, landscaping and fitout.
*Timeframes may change subject to weather, site conditions, council’s budget process and other funding.
Project news and updates
Keep up to date on the project as it progresses.
- Construction Notification BRCP Upcoming traffic changes May 2021
- Construction Notification BRCP May 2021
- Construction Notification BRCP April 2021
- Construction Notification BRCP March 2021
- Construction Notification BRCP February 2021 works
- Construction Notification BRCP First Avenue Asphalt and Road Closure
- Construction Notification BRCP December works
- Construction Notification BRCP November works
- Construction Notification BRCP Tower crane removal October 2020
- Construction Notification BRCP Stormwater Smith St and Muraban St October 2020
- Construction Notification Landscaping improvements and vegetation removal works October 2020
- Brisbane Road Car Park Construction Notification October 2020
- Brisbane Road Car Park Construction Notification August 2020
- Brisbane Road Car Park Construction Notification July 2020
- Brisbane Road Car Park - Community Update (June 2020)
- Brisbane Road Car Park Construction Notification April 2020
- Brisbane Road Car Park Construction Notification March 2020
- Brisbane Road Car Park Construction Notification February 2020
- Brisbane Road Car Park - Community Update (23 January 2020)
- Brisbane Road Car Park - Community Update (22 October 2019)
- Brisbane Road Car Park - Car Park Reconfiguration (23 September 2019)
- Brisbane Road Car park - Now Taking Shape Video (March 2020)