Australia is home to some of the most dangerous reptiles on earth and some of the most difficult terrain on the planet. Bush survival skills are a necessity for anyone who wants to venture out into the Aussie great outdoors on long adventures. However, these skills can also come in handy even if you are just going for a short hike on one of the many trails around the Sunshine Coast.
Here are some tips:
- Stay hydrated – always carry a water bottle with you
- Do not sweat it – stay in the shade as much as possible and go morning or afternoon
- Wear appropriate footwear, make noise and always keep an eye out. Giving the local wildlife a warning you are on your way can save you from coming face to face with a cranky or scared reptile
- Always tell someone where you are going and when you will be back
- Pack a light bag with some essentials like water, snacks, sunscreen, hat, mosquito repellent, antibacterial wipes and some band-aids and a bandage just in case! Nothing ruins a hike like blisters. Even in summer it is a good idea to carry a lightweight waterproof jacket for any sudden storms
- Make sure someone is carrying a fully charged phone
- Hang a whistle on a lanyard around your neck – if you get separated from your group it is a good way for them to find you!
Check out Adventure Sunshine Coast for awesome ideas on hikes and family fun adventures.
Before you go, read more outdoor safety tips from Outdoors Queensland
If you and your family love camping on the beach or in the bush, here are some handy tips from Bear Grylls:
- Assess the camping ground before setting up your tent
- Make your shelter as homely as possible to make yourself a bit more comfortable
- Always pack a warm sleeping bag
- Bring energy boosting snacks on hiking trips
- Eat a good meal before starting your day
- Dress appropriately for the season
- Explore the wonders that nature has to offer
Always remember to be incredibly cautious around camp fires. Check out the Queensland Fire and Emergency Services website and watch some great videos to learn more. You can even take the Junior Firefighter quiz and earn a certificate.
Any camper needs to know how to tie ropes and knots. Check out this great website and learn all of the essential knots that the Scouts use.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.