Mosaic art is a fabulous way to bring colour into the garden that stays all year round. Those not so green fingers can weave beautiful magic with style, definition and charm no matter what your budget.
Mosaics are an art form at least 4000 years old originating in Mesopotamia. Using shards of coloured stones, glass and other materials, often from recycled or old porcelain kitchenware and tiles, mosaics are a great way to upcycle and get creative in your garden.
Ways to include mosaics in your garden:
How to start a garden pot mosaic project:
- Sketch your design onto a pot
- Take your tiles and wrap them in cloth
- Gently tap on the tiles with a hammer to break into shards
- Gather your tiles into colour categories and sizes
- Glue each piece individually on the pot according to your design
- Let the glue sit for 24 hours
- Spread grout over the design to fill in the gaps
- Allow the grout to set
- Using a sponge and water wipe off excess grout
- Now you have a beautiful mosaic!
Learn how to make a mosaic with instructables.com
Libraries love these eBooks:
- Crafting with Clay Pots: Easy Designs for Flowers, Home Décor, Storage and More by Colleen Dorsey
- Modern Upcycling: A User-Friendly Guide to Inspiring and Repurposed Handicrafts for a Trendy Home by Susanna Zacke
To get started, download the ePlatform and Libby apps, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Libraries love these garden art eMagazines:
- Gardening Australia
- Backyard & Garden Design Ideas
- Australian Country Gardens
- Creative Artist
- Artists & Illustrators
- Make it HOME
To get started using free eMagazines download the Libby app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Set up a soundtrack inspired by Mosaics with Freegal:
- Jazz music – Mosaic by Art Blakey and Mosaic by Touche Monet, Hakon Iversen
- Mood music – Mosaic by the Mosaic Sextet
- Soundtrack – Mosaic by Paul Halsinger
- Electronic Music – Mosaic by Mechanist
Get unlimited music streaming and download five tracks per week with Freegal. Download from the Sony catalogue and thousands of smaller labels. Sign in with your library member number and password.
Check out more info on the web:
- View the inspirational works of Antoni Gaudi the Spanish-Catalan architect whose unrivalled work featured beautiful mosaics
- Learn how to make a mosaic table
- Explore the mosaic reproductions of famous artworks such as Van Gogh’s Starry Night
- Find easy mosaic patterns to enhance your next piece
- Expand your mosaic art knowledge with Pinterest or The Garden Glove
Love the program? Complete the online survey.