- Friday 19 March 2021
When it’s local it’s special and the latest exhibition at Caloundra Regional Gallery is no exception.
An impressive selection of 40 artworks submitted by Sunshine Coast artists has been hung at the Caloundra Regional Gallery in the Local Artists - Local Content Art Prize exhibition - now on show until 2 May.
In its seventh year, the Prize is presented by the Friends Regional Gallery, Caloundra Inc. in partnership with the Caloundra Regional Gallery.
President of Friends Regional Gallery, Caloundra Inc Marilyn Holness said the 2021 exhibition showcased the talent of our home-grown artists and the huge range of views on what “local” means.
“The artworks represent a diverse mix of mediums – from clay and porcelain to oil and watercolour. The calibre of entries we received really highlight our remarkable local talent, and the finalists’ works in the exhibition represent ‘the best of the best’ from the region.”
Guest judge this year Sandra Conte, former Director of Caloundra Regional Gallery (1997–2005) and now Producer at eARTh e-mag, said the quality of applications from the 40 shortlisted finalists was outstanding.
“There is so much depth and breadth to the entries, spanning and reflecting the stunning geographical diversity and themes of the Sunshine Coast region,” Ms Conte said.
The winners of the five judged categories are:
- Best of Show: $5000 prize, sponsored by Mary Henzell Investments Pty Ltd Susan Schmidt (Noosa Heads) | True Blue | 2019 | acrylic and oil on canvas | 122 x 102 cm
- Excellence Award: $2000 prize, sponsored by Mark and Judy McArdle Julie Field (Eumundi) | The OTT - A Life Beyond the track | 2020 | ceramic sculpture on aged timber stand | 35 x 30 x 15 cm
- Excellence Award: $2000 prize, sponsored by Mark and Judy McArdle Phillip Rolton (Noosa Heads) | First Point Noosa | 2020 | pen and wash | 33 x 50 cm
- Excellence Award: $2000 prize, sponsored by Mark and Judy McArdle and Friends Regional Gallery Caloundra. Marvene Ash (Maleny) | Maleny Studio | 2020 | gouache, pen and ink wash | 100 x 80 cm
- Best Three-Dimensional: $2000 prize, sponsored by Sunshine Coast Council Shannon Garson (Maleny) | Beauty and Terror | 2020 | porcelain glaze, underglaze, oxides, terra sigilata | 27 x 30 x 10 cm
Ms Conte said of the Best of Show “Susan Schmidt’s work is an open and veiled window to our local history and built environment - the beloved fibro shack, running along the coastline from Caloundra to Noosa edges into hinterland towns.
“I was enamoured by the multi-layering and site-specific nature of this work. This enticing canvas begs us to get up close,” Ms Conte said.
“Schmidt appears to stage a nod to the kitsch through the chosen colours and her capture of modulated shadow and light. The raised stripping and surfaces appear as if they’re embossed, reminiscent of the floor linoleum patterning of the times.
“Her work is a measure of how we protect or substitute our Queensland built heritage environments and Schmidt’s comment is telling when she states, ‘It was there, the last time I looked’.”
The People’s Choice Award, judged by public vote, is open until the end of the exhibition to give gallery visitors the chance to vote for their favourite artwork. The winning artist will be announced on 2 May and will receive $500, sponsored by Geoff Lyons Solicitors Pty Ltd.
Sunshine Coast Community portfolio councillor Rick Baberowski said this exhibition was such an important showcase for the region.
“The talent we have locally is so incredibly impressive,” Cr Baberowski said.
“Pivotal awards like this set our artists on the regional stage and provide opportunities to raise their professional profiles and for their work to be enjoyed by the masses.
“I also enjoy the exhibition as an annual time capsule of the region as seen by our creative community. In years to come, I imagine, this will be invaluable to our cultural heritage.”
Local artists’ local content events
- Exhibition 19 March to 2 May, Caloundra Regional Gallery
- Student Award exhibition 19 March to 2 May, Artroom, Caloundra Regional Gallery
- Walk and Talk Tours, 27 and 28 March at 10.30am. Register
- Finalist Artist Interviews livestreamed via the Gallery’s Facebook
- Raelean Hall, , Wednesday 31 March, 7.00pm via the Gallery's Facebook
- Ben Lucas, Wednesday 14 April, 7.00pm via the Gallery’s Facebook
- Miles Allen, Wednesday 28 April, 7.00pm via the Gallery’s Facebook
- Made by Hand: Drawing in the Gallery Garden, Caloundra Regional Gallery, Saturday 24 April, 10.00am Register