- Wednesday 07 August 2019
Claim your place in the history books by being amongst the first to explore the new Maroochydore City Centre at the free People’s Day this Saturday.
The fun begins at 11am when the ribbon is cut and visitors of all ages are ushered in to walk, cycle, skate and scooter the first section of the new Maroochydore City Centre, with all streets closed to vehicles.
The family-friendly daytime program includes:
• Virtual Reality (VR) tours of the future city
• LEGO city-building construction site
• Maroochydore City Centre Discovery Challenge orienteering activity
• Keys to the City art installation and craft station
• Your City. Your Story. artwork and storytelling installation
• Demonstrations and interactive displays of Maroochydore City Centre’s smart technology and infrastructure
• Food and beverage stalls and coffee vendors will also be on site.
As the sun sets, People’s Day presents a free evening performance spotlighting local talent from 6pm.
Roll out the picnic rug, graze on a BYO dinner and be entertained by talented local performers celebrating Maroochydore’s past, present and future through music, dance, storytelling, visual art and projections.
The evening entertainment includes:
• A traditional Welcome to Country by Kabi Kabi representatives
• Gubbi Gubbi dance troupe
• Cellist Louise King
• Dancer Soraya Fewquandie-Scott
• Vocalists Lindsay Pollak, Lizzie O’Keefe, Andrea Kirwin and Shannon Sol Carol
• Elixir, a folk-jazz ensemble with Katie Noonan and saxophonist Zac Hurren.
Maroochydore City Centre People’s Day is a free, all-ages, non-ticketed event on Saturday 10 August from 11am until 8.30pm.
All roads are closed to vehicles with pedestrian access via First Avenue at Aerodrome Road.