- Wednesday 03 February 2021
Did you know Sunshine Coast Council offers a free online tool to help residents and visitors better navigate local roads?
Roads Hub – roads.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au – is a free online mapping tool created to minimise road user frustration and improve road safety by helping users plan ahead and be aware of road works or other events which may impact traffic.
Service Excellence Portfolio Councillor Winston Johnston said taking the time to check Roads Hub before starting your journey was quick and easy.
“With a few simple clicks you can see road improvement works council is delivering, as well those being carried out by the Queensland Government’s Department of Transport and Main Roads,” Cr Johnston said.
“Visiting Roads Hub can save you time and ensure you know where you might encounter delays, giving you the option to consider leaving earlier or plan to take an alternative route.
“We appreciate how inconvenient road works can be while we deliver important improvements, so we’ve created this tool to help minimise those impacts while our staff and contractors deliver crucial road upgrades.”
Fellow Service Excellence Portfolio Councillor Christian Dickson said council’s top priority was to keep all road users safe.
“This includes motorists, pedestrians, cyclists and our road workers,” Cr Dickson said.
“We want to ensure our community is aware of any changed conditions they may encounter on the roads and Roads Hub alerts you to road closures, crashes, hazards, flooding, road works, congestion and special events.
“Consider making Roads Hub part of your regular journey planning and don’t forget if you ever notice potholes or other damage to local roads please let council know.”
To report a pothole on state-controlled roads, please contact the Department of Transport and Main Roads on 13 19 40. A list of state-controlled roads across our region is available at www.tmr.qld.gov.au.
Council maintains 2972 kilometres of local roads and bridges throughout the region.
Roads Hub Fast Facts
• Updates every two minutes, providing reliable, information about road works and road closures.
• Accessible on any digital device and all popular internet browsers – Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox.
• Mobile friendly – Apple, android.
• Provides real-time information about road works and road closures.
• User-friendly search function for roads, suburbs, dates, works type, works source and impact type.
• Search by address or suburb or search on an aerial map and zoom to the relevant section (map view or satellite view).
• Easily recognisable icons to help identify sources of road works or road closures.
• Roads Hub includes information about road works delivered for the community by council’s civil asset management branch and the Department of Transport and Main Roads.
• Works coordinated by commercial developers and private, non-council contractors and other utility and service providers (such as Unitywater and Energex) do not appear on Roads Hub.