- Wednesday 05 February 2020
Following an extensive community consultation process to identify the community’s values and ideas, a 15 year visionary roadmap for Landsborough’s public spaces has been endorsed by Sunshine Coast Council.
Division 1 Councillor Rick Baberowski said the Landsborough Placemaking Master Plan’s development had been a collaborative process between community and council.
“Placemaking is all about involving the community in the design and management of public spaces to create a ‘sense of place’ for a town,” Cr Baberowski said.
“It is about much more than the bricks and mortar. It’s about improving our public spaces to strengthen Landsborough as a destination and encourage community and local businesses to invest in activations such as arts, events and shop front improvements.
“More than 1,000 people were engaged through surveys, community events, workshops and general correspondence during three engagement phases from January 2018 to September 2019.
“I am really proud of the community and appreciate the efforts of each and every person who shared their thoughts about Landsborough to help us create this visionary roadmap to the future.”
Together with the community, a vision for the town’s public spaces has been developed:
Landsborough continues to evolve into a vibrant, well-connected and creative community. Drawing on its past, to enrich its future, it will be a place for today’s lifestyles with a village atmosphere. Diverse public spaces are sensitively designed and layer social, cultural and recreational uses, as well as activities—to create memorable experiences that sustain Landsborough as a locally loved destination. Distinctively relaxed and accessible, Landsborough balances its rural character, with a strong connection to nature and never loses its sense of being in the Glass House landscape.
Landsborough residents, visitors and businesses can expect to see work on the Cribb Street Streetscaping component of the plan start in coming months.
In addition to council’s capital works budget commitment, implementation of other parts of the plan may be delivered by a variety of stakeholders, including private developers, other levels of government and the local community.
Works on State Government owned land, will require the approval of the relevant State Government department.
Visit www.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au to download a copy of the plan.
Top priorities for the Landsborough Placemaking Master Plan are:
• Undertaking streetscape improvements in Cribb Street as a focus for placemaking in Landsborough to be delivered as a priority project for the Placemaking Master Plan.
• Liaising with relevant State Government agencies to progress identified placemaking guidance opportunities—including those relevant to the proposed Department of Transport and Main Roads Beerburrum to Nambour rail upgrade project.
• Encouraging Landsborough residents and local businesses to establish a committee to deliver a community activation program that is supported by council’s relevant branches and funded by the Cribb Street streetscape program.
• Encouraging community and business-led improvements of shop facades, forecourts, private green space areas within the Cribb Street Precinct and The Borough.
• Using the Landsborough Placemaking Master Plan as a referral document to provide guidance for good public space design and placemaking outcomes for Landsborough.